I Forge Iron

Hammer ID and Keeping it Shiny

Prokopto

Hello, iron punishers, I have acquired a hammer for $2 and spent a quick minute reshaping the maul handle that had been put in it and I polished the head.

Q. 1. What brand of hammer is it? There are markings that say US on top. Under the pein it reads the ubiquitous warning to wear safety glasses. It also has a 2 (2 pounds I think) and a 95.

Q. 2. Once I finish polishing it to mirror how do I keep it that way? Is there a treatment I can apply such as oil or wax? Do I put a lacquer on it?

Any help is always welcomed!

post-14234-0-60141600-1339250692_thumb.j

post-14234-0-33703300-1339250706_thumb.j

post-14234-0-59395200-1339250724_thumb.j

post-14234-0-04840000-1339250737_thumb.j

Looks like it could be a genuine "True Value" hammer, (or any one of several US drop forged steel hammers). As for the mirror finish; so, you don't plan on using the hammer? :D OK, seriously, similarly like a mirror finish on a steel knife, by simply wiping it down after each use and keeping it dry, it should keep most of its luster, but its a tool. It will get some scuffs and dings. Take a picture of it when its at its shiniest and store it for prosperity, then go out and enjoy your new hammer :)

Scott

Thanks yes I plan on using it a lot but I wanted to keep the sides of the hammer shiny (looks cool). I can certainly wipe it down with a little oil after each use. As for the face -it will just have to grin and bear it. Thanks for the information Scott.
Bill

My Hatchet stays thay shiny. Its all steel, and I rub it with oil, keep it dry and clean off any sap and junk that gets on it. Every once and a while, in your case, a little wire cup on a drill might take a good bit of the scuffing off. But light oil should do the trick!

It's what used to be called an "engineer's hammer" in the US catalogs. No special reason that I can think of except the head goes into an straight octagonal section. Some engineer's hammers were double faced, kind of like a small sledge hammer. It would be a good forging hammer. I normally crown the peen.

Get a 6" ScotchBrite wheel and touch your hammer on it (while it's spinning) to get a quick polish. I get my wheels from the local silversmiths' supply. The wheels are also good for superficial rust removal.

As VA does have some humidity you can treat the sides of your hammer with wax or a car wax or one of the cloths made for guns. The working ends will keep themselves clean if you *use* it* on a regular basis.

Most of the time I am happy with the patina that used tools have---once I have removed any loose rust---and simply wax or oil them.