I Forge Iron

Online Anvil Prices

Note that Online Anvil Prices may not reflect what an anvil actually sells for.

On craigslist locally someone was advertising a 152 pound Mousehole for $600 or about $4 a pound. Even for our anvil poor area I though that was high.

It's been re-listed by the original poster at $450 or about $3 a pound for a drop of $150 *so* *far*.

Folks who then try to price their anvils off of the original price may be quite disappointed unless they can find someone to soon part from their money...

It's sort of the opposite to the e-bay situation where folks get all exited at how low something is priced at the beginning of a listing.

The *selling* price is what's important not the "beginning price"

ive seen prices all over the place for anvils ... and sometimes a real high price does manage to sell but not to me... ebay makes some people think they have gold cause they dont look at completed listings ...if you go by what people are asking (with no bids) there are some real spendy anvils out there ... but i have gotten deals also its just on how much looking your willing to do ..and how fast you want/need it...

Some people are really stubborn too. They get a price stuck in their head, and won't budge. I've seen a couple of anvils on Kijiji, priced very high, that keep getting listed & re-listed over and over again, for the same price.

One has been for sale, off and on, for nearly 2 years ... but the guy won't budge on his price.

It takes all kinds, eh? He probably will get some sucker to pay his price ..... eventually.

Ya we have a guy out here that posts on craigslist all the time. He has a collection of anvils that he is trying to sell for top dollar and he will not give any breaks for any reason. I choose not to do business with people like that.
Good deals are out there you just have to get lucky and get there before the "Hoarders"

Ok I just did my daily search and found "Our buddy" has 4 anvils listed in the $3.50 - $4.00 a pound range. He also has a Champion 400 blower with stand listed at $325 and he was kind enough to include a special note about an ebay listing for $800 for the same item.
I also found a Fischer anvil "From Mare Island" (amazing how often that comes up) The seller says that it is around 300 pounds and takes 2 or 3 people to lift. It is clearly marked 200 he wants $750 that is $3.75 a pound it does look nice but that is way more than what I would pay.
Then there is the guy with a 50 pound anvil for $250 and he was kind enough to sand blast and powder coat the anvil- what a guy!

Thomas is correct about the lack of anvils in NM. Actually that same Mousehole anvil was for sale last year for $550 by the same seller. I went and looked at it but it was severely sway backed and had no rebound. He had several other anvils which he had pick up in his travels and brought them here to sell. He has a Hay Budden for sale that had half of the top plate poorly replaced with laid down weld for $450.

If you think prices are high where you are, you should come to Alaska. I've seen anvils on craigslist for $12 a pound. 4" post vises for $600. Tongs that are unusable because of damage for $40. On the other hand if you look hard enough in the right area you can find stuff laying on the gound too. I guess its all relative just like anywhere. But prices are so bad here most blacksmiths just buy new from the lower 48 and have it shipped up for the most part. Its less expencive that way. I got lucky and got a champion 400 blower and top/bottom tools for a good deal once but thats the exception rather than the rule.

The North East corner of these Great United States seems to have an abundance of reasonably priced anvils. I have 6 in my shop,( mostly because I do some teaching), not one cost over $250. I am not opposed to paying more I just seem to find them for that price.
I do know that a few years ago two major collectors of anvils passed away in New England and with in 6 months over 800 anvils were unleashed on the blacksmithing public.
New England Blacksmiths had a Meet a month ago and the 10 or so anvils being sold in the tailgate sales area did not sell out and there were, compared to what is being mentioned here, some real bargains.
Maybe I should get the shipping worked out and send some west
Bob

When I lived in Columbus OH, (1989-2003) I averaged a good name anvil in great condition every year for less than US$1 a pound. Very much the happy hunting grounds for smiths! (My *mint* 515# Fisher was $350 and was found less than 5 miles from my house!)

"On the other hand if you look hard enough in the right area you can find stuff laying on the ground too."

You mean like Frosty? I'm sure glad *someone* found him when he was laying on the ground!