I Forge Iron

Makeing Babbitt Stick

habu68

I am Trying to help repair a horse drawn corn binder for a local historical display.
We have a worn binder arm, it is the part that pulls the shock of corn into the area that ties the shock together. The arm rotates around a 1" shaft at low speed and is made of cast iron . I figured that the best way to repair this would be a babbit bearing, but I am having a hard time getting the babbit to stick to the surface.

1. I am using new babbitt
2. preheating the part untill a pine stick chars
3. I have tinned the part with tin solder(I bright sanded and fluxed the part and still only got 80% coverage with the solder)
4. I have fluxed the part and the Babbitt with rosen (lightly)
5. I have removed the dross
6. I have been careful not to overheat the Babbitt ( smoldering pine stick)
7. babbitt damming and removal of the mandril have been no problem
8. the !@#$%%^^&$ thing falls out.

9. the next thing i'll try is to drill some small holes in the part surface to provide a grip for the babbitt.

any sugestions?

you need to rough the cast iron up some on the inside with a small stone in a drill or die grinder first, tin with acid core solder and use a small wire brush while tinning to get it tinned good. you will need some indentations or slots for the babbit to flow into on the inside to hold it. Best way is to drill a hole in one side and countersink it, smoke the shaft well with an pure acetylene flame position it where desired, preheat the casting by lightly smoking with pure acetylene and then preheating till the soot disappears, pour the babbit in thru the hole in the center, and fill the hole full, as the babbit cools and shrinks this sprue lets extra babbit run in, make sure you have enough room around the shaft to have a layer of babbit all the way around the shaft. If you don't have suffecient area for the babbit to flow around the shaft, it will get cool to quick and not flow completely around.

• 5 months later...

Thanks, I saw the mcmaster versions last night and also thought i'd look up Magnolia. Surprisingly enough they still exist. Still waiting on a response from them. As for the centaur version, never heard of carbonite. Anyone had any experience with it? For that matter, anyone have practical experience with the mcmaster versions of it?
Almost seems simple enough to make up a batch myself now that powdered metals are easily obtainable. Some tin, antimony, copper, a little graphite and nickle thrown in for good measure. Much easier to buy the prepared batch i'm sure. But would be fun none the less.

Carbonite is also a fictional ionic compound in the Star Wars universe. In Star Wars Episode V: The Empire Strikes Back, Han Solo is frozen in carbonite. The procedure leaves him in suspended animation.

Carbonite is an explosive made from such ingredients as nitroglycerin, wood meal, and some other stuff.

Sorry, but no experience with either one.

Already found that one Habu, tis what prompted me to see if they still existed. Hopefully they'll e-mail me back on moday. If not i'll call them and see what's up.
Thanks for the reminder there Glenn. Had heard of it but a bit rusty as i haven't seen that since '79.

going to re-babbit part of an old line drive I found the other day, but there's no rush so it may be a bit before I do. Have photos at the house, need to get them uploaded. should be fun.

Finally got a hold of Julie Anderson there(magnolia metals) and she's a pleasure to deal with. figured out the type that I need from the pages she faxed. Have to love the copy of the technical bulletin #102 that was pinned to her wall when they updated a few specifications on april 5,1974 that she included with a fax. Just have to love a company that has been around so long.
I'll need to melt out the bearings i've got and get an approx weight to know how much to buy. But should get to that in a few weeks.