I Forge Iron

Some more questions.....

So I'm sure you all are loving all the newbi question I have.... Sorry. I am super Interested in this hobby / possible future profession. I would have a fire burning now but I am removing the zinc from the pipes on my first homemade forge. I diddnt really know galvanized pipe was deadly! Thanks for pointing that out Ridgewayforge!! So as for my forge. What other kinds of things can I forge besides knives? Of course my main focus is knives simply because I am fascinated by them. But I am also intrested in forging anything I can with a brake drum forge. Also what is a good anvil for a beginner? I'm not looking for a $1000 french or german made anvile.... Just something simple maybe 75 - 100 Lbs. sufficent for a beginning smith. Any help is appreciated!

Welcome to the obsession. And welcome to the site. First of all, you've learned one of the most important things. Stay away from galvanized or plated metals if at all possible. Other than that, don't confine yourself to just making one thing. Yes, knives are cool. But there are so many other things to make it will make your head spin. Start with smaller, easier things to gain hammer and heat control. Start with the basics. There is a wealth of information on this site to learn from and many experienced and helpful people.

Start with going through the forums and reading the different topics. Go through the gallery and look at the vast array of items that have been posted here. From the basic to the very detailed. Lastly, feel free to ask more questions. And post pictures of what you have created. Pictures help us see exactly how you are doing.

Good luck and have fun!

Mitch

All it takes is a little imagination, anything is possible. Just cruze the sculptures, they will blow your mind. Heck, I just recently found out it was possible to forge brass. That opens a whole new area of possabilaties. Thiink of something, try it. You'll ruin more metal than not, but half the fun is getting there. As far as the anvil, the heavier the better. I will admit, mine is just a rr iron welded on a heavy base. The whole thing weighs over 150lbs so it don't move even under my 12lb sledge.

MRobb, I did learn a very Important lesson. I had no clue galvanised meatals had the potential to kill a person! I was under the impression they would make you slightly sick and if you burned off the zinc before you got near it there would be no problem. I am glad I asked before I started that first fire! jmcustomeknives I am so pumped about all the things I can possibly make! Thanks for the replys!

I have supplied many newbies in this forum with inexpensive anvils. My sole purpose in doing this is to keep these relics out of the hands of collectors. I have a legion of people, near me in Pennsylvania, who "hook me up" with inexpensive blacksmith tools, including anvils. Right now I have a slightly bellied 142 pound mousehole which is available. I fully intend, in the next two weeks, to resurface this anvil................one of the greatest blacksmiths I know, who has refaced many many anvils, is going to give me a lesson on fixing anvils, free of charge. "Hit me up" in the PM!

What part of PA? I have alot of famiy that live in Stroudsburgh!

One bit of advice I ofter Begineers who want to improve quickley is to as I call it "cut your teeth" making certain items. Mine was split links and hammer wedges for spiking hammers, I made what seemed thousand, always maintaining a high quality finished forging. You soon get your eye in and develop rhythm. You need to fine an article that is saleable such as S hooks etc, so your time might have $$$$$ reward. Its a bit like a golfer at the driving range smacking off buckets of balls, not necessarily playing the game, but investing time in practicing all the right shots over and over.
Good luck and may the forge be with you.

Look through the books like "The Backyard Blacksmith" or "Civil War Blacksmithing" for projects or look through the blueprint forum here or the i-forge forum over at anvilfire.com

Doing ornamental and camping gear is a big help before doing knives as you can make items successfully while learning the basics of fire and hammer control and how your forge works---mild steel is much more forgiving of overheating, underheating, decarburization, scaling, etc than knifegrade steel---But every taper or bevel you form or bend or twist you make or straighten is practice directly applicable to the blades you will be making!