I Forge Iron

Anvil pricing...

re: ANVIL GREAT COND. - $750 (MUNCIE) (the nut house)

Are you insane ?????? $750. really . . .. You need to do a little research. . .. $1.00 per pound is typical on any anvil., no matter what make , date, or condition. . .. Get a grip

this in regaurds to this ad

http://muncie.craigs...3026160124.html

Looks like a Brooks and a couple of Stakes

You can ask whatever you like for something it doesn't mean you are going to get it. Both of those posters are wrong. That anvil is not worth $750 but it is worth more than $1 per LB and some makes fetch better money than others. A Hay Budden will fetch more than a peter wright and both will sell for more than a fisher. Also condition is important the anvil in question is very clean I would say it is worth $3 per lb it is a brooks a good make in very good condition. But a pristine Fisher will get more than a beat down Hay Budden. Its really about your needs and wants. If you can afford it and really want who cares if its worth it to you. You wont stop that guy by trying to shout him down. Only the lack of responses to his add will change his tune. Don't be insulted make your offer and see what happens most people will haggle.

I always love the $X per lb arguement - it only applies to scrap metal. As with anything else an anvil is only worth what someone is willing to pay for it, in one location you'll get huge demand in others huge supply...the difference could be 50, 100, X+% in price. As Mr Miller said - offer and see whether he will accept, if the price is still too high walk away, see whether in 3 months time and he's still trying to sell it if he'll take the same offer...rinse and repeat - if he sells it then someone was willing to pay it, and the price was right (at that time in that location for that item).

Chris

The small square stake out here would sell for around $35 and that big one isn't worth much without it holder so I couldn't see it being worth more than another $35 to $50 at best, and neither stake can or should be used with the anvil so their use with it is not a factor in the price of it and you are left with the hope of disposing of them to bring down the purchase price of the anvil. So it all comes down to the fact do you want that particular anvil for that much money? Me, no, I'd still be shopping around for something less expensive or visiting the scrap yard for a big old chunk of steel to use until I found a reasonable priced anvil.

Here we go again!

Factors are:

Size
Rarity
Desire of other smiths/collectors in the area

Around here I'd expect to see a quick sale for that item at around $3/lb. There are still occasional sales of beat down old anvils for cheap, but they are as common as the occasional sale of good quality stuff for prices like what the seller is asking. When I started smithing 20 years ago the old timers were already saying "Anvils USED to be around $1 per pound". There are a lot more hobby smiths out there now, as well as collectors, and while we do still hear the occasional "I got it for a song" story the fact is that demand is up everywhere. Don't get me wrong, I love to hear of a fellow smith getting a sweet anvil for cheap, but the fact is that it's not 1981 anymore.