I Forge Iron

What steel is this?

I did a clearout of my Granddad's shed and came back with quite a lot of useful tools and steel. I managed to get a load of old chisels which I'm going to be using as steel for the cutting edge of some tools I'm going to be making soon such as a cut-off hardy. I've had my eye open for old bandsaw blades as a source of 15n20 steel, but I found these. I'm pretty sure it's just standard high carbon steel, but is it possible that I got lucky? Also, what are files usually made of? I've heard they can be quite good for blades.

AU2AK.jpg

The pruning blade is likely a medium carbon steel and good for blades (a bit thin perhaps, however). The carbide toothed circular blade is likely to be a lower carbon steel and may not harden much... test it before investing much time in making things from it. Files are generally around 1095 steel and quite good for most kinds of cutting edges. Some of the older ones are something else which may or may not work for you.

On the files I have been told that 1095 was the papular material until sometime in the 80's. After that they started to use 1080 or 1085, still high carbon but not as high at the older ones. I have no proof of this. Also some circular saw blades are d2 and when used in damascus gives a nice silvery appearance when welded with something like 1080 or 1095.

And the old "Black Diamond" files (ones not stamped Nicholson) were 1.2% carbon and so great for juicing up a pattern welded billet where repeated welding and drawing out tends to *decrease* the carbon content. (There is still the myth that you increase the carbon content doing this--which is why the japanese can start out at nearly 2% carbon and end up at 0.5% carbon after many folding and welding cycles!)

CArbide tipped saw blades use a basic steel inner that is tough, but not really good for a blade. If you find a blade that does not have carbide teeth, the entire blade will be of a good steel. I would say that they were not D2 which is fairly expensive. I used D2 for metal punching dies that I made, as it has great wear characteristics. Inorder to make the blade tough , not brittle, you would lose the advantage a D2 blade would give you.

Search the forum for junkyard steels, as there is quite a good list going on what to use for various projects.