I Forge Iron

beds or tables?

summerman

I'm looking for examples of beds, tables, furniture made. the word "bed" is too short to search. wondering if anyone can post pictures for me. those are the first projects I will attempt. I'm trying to make as many useful items as possible. thanks.

If you go to the ABANA web site and take a look at the gallery there you should see lots of beds and tables. Also take a look at the various blacksmith chapters at the bottom of the forms page and look there at each chapters web site at their galleries. Then look at the IFI members web sites, many of them make beds and tables and look at the IFI gallery for beds and tables or just look through member projects.

I assume you know basic forging then and have a setup that can handle longer and larger pieces then?

Or is this one of the "I'm going to learn to swim and my first go at it is to swim the English Channel" type of things where you are setting yourself up for frustration and failure.

If it the second I strongly advise you to start off with smaller projects and build up your skills and muscles to handle the larger one. One way is to look at applied ornamentation---handforged flowers, tendrils, ornamental grillwork, etc. and start by making them as freestanding pieces and when you get good, (takes at least 6 of something to get the basics down pat for most folk), then step up to a project that incorporates those pieces---like a gate, lampstand, etc. And when your joinery is sound go on to the big project.

This also allows you to grow your shop as you go along---much cheaper than saying that day 1 you need the large forge and large anvil and large vise and layout table---*NOW* (for example if you want a 6" postvise you can probably find one for US$600 in a week; I found one for $50 2 years ago by just keeping my eye out for one over time.)