I Forge Iron

Broken Arrow

Loneforge

Well I was making a chef's knife and it broke on me after heat treat.
When the blade broke it left an arrow shaped scar right up my right thumb.....Therefore this blade I have aptly named The Broken Arrow. This knife is the redemption blade. 38 layers of 1095 and 15n20 twisted. The handle will get lacewood and brass pins.
a7DSe.jpg

This is just a sneak peak so I could see the pattern. Finished blade will be posted as soon I finish it!

i have been using someone else's forge for a while and have been looking into getting one of my own. just out of curiosity, what forge did you use? i really like what your doing here, this kind of stuff just get's me stoked to go out and blacksmith, thanks for the post

Lone forge,
You didn't tell us what the heat treatment was. There are a lot of variables in damascus steel. Pretty much a given when forging a damascus billet is that you need to thermal cycle the forged billet at least three times prior to normalizing at room temperature. ( Thermal cycling means bringing the billet up to non magnetic, letting it cool to magnetic, then repeating the process in seccession. This is a fairly simple and quick process that makes a huge difference.) Then, for me, I like to anneal the billet by raising the temp to non magnetic and leaving it in the forge (closed up) overnight to anneal. Vermiculite in a can will work as well. Stress releaving is a major part of forging mixed metals. This process plays out big time when quenching the billett to avoid wharpage.
John

This blade as it is now has been triple normalized then annealed. Not Heat treated yet. The one that got broke was the same. The blade didn't break during HT, I broke it afterwards. It took a little warp and I tempted to straighten it before it was tempered. This knife will not even get looked at until it's been tempered at least twice after HT. I do the same as you I just messed up by trying to fix a little warp before tempering. Thanks for the advice. I appreciate it!

Loneforge,
I can't tell you how many times I've done the same...stupidly. Now, I quench twice and temper twice after thermal cycling, normalizing and annealing. I haven't had any break for awhile, and I use the hydraulic press for straightening with pieces of cedar shingles as a buffer when bending. Your work looks really good!
John