I Forge Iron

Something not quite right with this anvil

When I first saw that one I was a chuckling to myself wondering if he would find a sucker to buy it. Looks like there weren't any born recently to buy it. It sure looks bad but I bet he will relist it or take it to a swap meet, it will sell and then sit in someones garage for another 20 years and really be vintage for sure.

We get a lot of this type of anvil down here as they are being cast in the foundries just over the Mexican border to finish the ladle at the end of the day. They are using real anvils for making the molds and then casting whatever is in the mold and then selling them with minimal fettling and the seam right down the middle of the face and horn.

Been to several auctions where the auctioneer claims they are originals and expect to start seeing some cleaned up and aged and false stamped.

Tell tales are the lack of handling holes, the lack of depressions on the base and the seam still showing under the horn and heel.

Some of them *might* be a decent alloy if they were heat treated but you have no clue what it is when you buy it!

I picked up one for a few dollars once with the plan to electro-plate it with copper and set it outside my shop to look pretty. Before I got the chance to do that my brother carted it off and uses it to hammer on junk in his shop, Hes not a smith, just wanted something to hammer on when straightening things. It is still in pretty good shape considering it only see cold work. Its definitely cast iron but its kinda hard.

I did not consider reporting because the only sketchy word he uses is "vintage" and the item is well photographed. When talking about "vintage" with many topics it does not mean "old" even though it is also used as that meaning in general use.

The general consensus is that this is a "fake" anvil,

Phil