I Forge Iron

Steel supplies

Hello everybody.. Didn't know where to post this one so i started a topic here.
Does anyone of you know an online shop that i can buy steel bars in Europe , or anyway that they would sheep them to Greece? i am having a bit of a problem locating a supplier in my area. I asked around in metal suppliers and they only have iron bar or poor steel. retail shops with alloy and high carbon steel found yet. Would appreciate if anyone knows any sites.. Thanks a lot.

Hi George,

What type of steel? what quantities? what purpose do you need it for? Do you need new or will recycled do? There must be engineering works where you are, try them or a local garage/ body repair shop may be able to guide you into a local supplier.

Yes i thought that also John. But the prob is the retail price. I want a flat bar of 1060 or 5160 for knife/sword making attempts. I have some leaf springs but i cant bring them to correct thickness to shape them correctly for a long blade. So i need a fresh bar of 4mm thickness max to experiment with. Prob is on the retail price or the factory price. most engineers buy them on mass quantities from factories. i want a few bars only. Anyway i'll keep searching around :) Thanks anyway.

Well yes Thomas that's what i am trying to find out atm. There are some machine shops around that they repair bouldozers and heavy trucks etc so i guess they would probably use high carbon steel that i could get some. All i need to do is to get to know someone of them :). Working on that also.