I Forge Iron

Mark your stuff!

Yetti

I have for the better part of my life been a collector of stuff. I have been at it since I can remember draging home my first bike from the alleys of Detroit. well its been 45 years worth of stuff collected around me over the years and I have come to appreciate marking my stuff. as an example I have 3lb coffee cans that I use for small stuff. they work well but if it gets out of hand you have like 300+ cans! its a nightmare of sorts but I love a good hunt.
well to make matters worse I know I own stuff, I am positive...I can't never find it? dunno why other then it gets put where it doesn't belong. today I installed a set of wheel bearing on my Gravely Lawn mower. nothing special right? wrong. the dealer looked them up last Tuesday and handed me a set. they were $7,40 ea. for the 2 that I needed. I figured since I had to have them it wasn't that bad. I also bought a new set of blades. so $54 later I was on my way. got home and sure enough they were the wrong ones. the guy at the dealer insisted they were correct. so now I was mad. I knew in my heart I owned a set and set about looking again...nothing. bummed about not finding them I went back Thursday to get the Correct bearings serial numbers in hand. well guess what? they didn't corispond with anything he could look up? go figure. anyways he says "we'll match them up". sure enough he come back in about 4-5 minutes carring the exact right bearings. here's the kicker. they are now $13 each! oh I was mad. not only did the place cost me a trip, but now I had to pay more. I was fuming. so to make a long story short I got done fixing the mower. greased it gassed it up and there it sits ready to go. I started cleaning up my mess and one thing led to another and I am cleaning the top of my work bench. as I pull down coffee cans to put bits where they belong I find one marked tools and bits. sure enough there is the brand new pair of bearing that I knew I owned...1 1/2 hours after putting in the new ones. sucks to be me. mark your stuff so you can find it when you need it. end of story.

1-workshop.jpg

I have 3lb coffee cans that I use for small stuff. they work well but if it gets out of hand you have like 300+ cans!

Even when you use a visual indexing system (see attached) I agree with the need for labels, as is shown in the second photo. Pulling two washers, using one, and not putting the other one back is only the start of the inventory nightmare. DO NOT try to computerize your stuff. You will spend more time keeping the inventory up to date than working on your projects. On the other hand, I did find a use for several 55 gallon drums. (grin)