I Forge Iron

vise info and i.d.

jasonmichalski

I picked up this leg vise from ebay for $35.00. The seller said it worked great but was ugl,y rusty, and may be a good working tool. I got it home and it was better then I hoped. I can't find any info on the type and age. Does antbody have an idea on the maker and age of this 4" vise?
P3131220.jpg
P3131188.jpg
P3011177.jpg
It has a 1X on the side of the screw box and on the front and back of the upwrights it has 5 tiny holes in a pattern of 2 over 3. The bolt nut is missing and the bracket is homemade. It has red paint under the years of dust. Thanks for any info you can provide me, I like to know the history of old tools thats half the fun of having them.

Looks like a marriage to me. The back end of the screwbox looks like a columbian to me but the faceted leg looks more like an Iron City with the short facet length. Also notice the very large washer on the front totally out of proportion with the rest. So my *guess* is a mix of two vises---probably within the last 100 years or so.

Looks like a marriage to me. The back end of the screwbox looks like a columbian to me but the faceted leg looks more like an Iron City with the short facet length. Also notice the very large washer on the front totally out of proportion with the rest. So my *guess* is a mix of two vises---probably within the last 100 years or so.

I kind of thought the same thing, glad to see I at least have picked up alittle from this site so far. Thank you for your thoughts.