I Forge Iron

Trellis Project

This is our first "kind of" project. It is for the funeral home in Burnsville, NC that my brother-in-law Adam works at. They are in the process of landscaping the property and the landscaper wanted these made. This being our first project and us having very little exp. I am fishing for any suggestions on pricing, layout etc.. I have attached a couple of photos of the sketch and windows.

1984.attach

1985.attach

Jeremiah
Are these to be totally blacksmithed as in rivetted and collared or can you use an electric welder ?
Are they just stabbed in the ground ?
Whats the trellis for ( any particular kind of plants ) or are they just to set the look for the windows ?
Are you using solid metal or rectangular or square tubing ?
All of this and more have a bearing on the price.
Its nice to see that they take VISA and MASTERCARD I wonder if I can pay for my funeral with a credit card :)
Mike

Jeremiah,
I agree with everything Mike suggested, plus this.

I had an art teacher in college that recommended that "you charge whatever you think it is worth multiplied by 2.5 or 3 and if you are lucky, you might break out even. Such is the life of the starving artist" (not an exact quote, but it was the idea that counted) and come to find out....she was right!

-Aaron @ the SCF

I have learned not to quote cheaply. There is a lot of work out there for a competent craftsman at the right price so don't sell yourself short. However, I will admit doing a few jobs early on at lower prices to get my name out there so take that into consideration as well.

On this job, you will be quoting against fabricators so the trick is to pitch why you can do it better, cheaper, faster, prettier, etc. One advantage a blacksmith has over a fabricator is the ability to make details and fastening methods that can't be purchased over the counter so think along those lines. Do the best work possible in all areas - make it something you are proud to sign with your name.

I always get 50% down with the balance due on completion. I take MC and Visa but so far (knock on wood) I haven't been stiffed on a check.