I Forge Iron

ANVIL ID NO MARKINGS

• 2 weeks later...

I have to agree with Wesley it looks an awful lot like my 175 Trenton, The base on mine is pretty flat with only a little indentation. Try to clean up the sides and see if ther eis a diamond on it. the cutting plate area by the base of the horn is a little wider than the one on my Trenton though.

thanks for the input,whats the best way to clean the anvil?this was my grandfathers and has not been used in quiet some time along with the other anvil which is a american star 310lb hornless anvil.going to sell both of them we are a welding shop and have no use for them,along with the 25 blacksmith tongs which allot of them date from 1876-1920s.

I was leaning toward an HB too as I seem to see a trace of the old hourglass on the bottom.

Clean with a wire brush on an angle grinder---don't need to go down to "shiny" just no loose dust or rust.

If you are in a damp climate a wipe with car wax or linseed oil can help preserve it afterwards.

well did some cleaning today and in picure 7 from the top of the anvil down about 7" found a number 3 on the left and a number 5 on the right send pics tomarrow, looks like a number in the middle of the 2 but cant make it out yet.no triangle but ill clean more.would those numbers be the weight of the anvil.will weigh tomarrow.thanks again

If they are on the side of the anvil they should be weight stamps, (a very few anvils are date stamped, William Foster and Fisher did some and that anvil is neither of those!).

As it is most likely an American made anvil it should be stamped in pounds and not the CWT system.

Best way to be sure: Weigh it! (and expect the stamped weight to be off a bit than the scale weight)