I Forge Iron

HORNLESS 5 STAR ANVIL

If I remember correctly Fisher made anvils for other companies and one's trademark was a star. Looks like a fisher Sawyer's anvil to me. Bestway to tell is test the rebound and ring. If it has great rebound and little ring, she's probably made by fisher. Great find, always wanted one.

very excited to hear about where it was made and when very cool,my grandfather collected allot of things at the welding shop.this was behind a old detrick&harvey planer circa 1890s.sent a couple of pics of the bottom would there be any other marking possible or just the star.

post-24669-0-67770700-1331583979_thumb.p

post-24669-0-59403700-1331584068_thumb.p

very excited to hear about where it was made and when very cool,my grandfather collected allot of things at the welding shop.this was behind a old detrick&harvey planer circa 1890s.sent a couple of pics of the bottom would there be any other marking possible or just the star.

That "oval" cavity is where a core went when cast. After casting, the core was chipped out. That one point is what made Star anvils different from Fishers. Mark Fisher acually sued Star for patent enfringement in 1857, but lost. That cooling cavity is what made the difference.

The 5 point star and the cooling cavity are the identifying marks for this company. No lettering, no dates. Fisher still made a superior product and by 1870 the Star company was gone.

I have 16 Star anvils in my museum ranging in size from 20 lb to 250 lb, and one stake they made. If your anvil is ever for sale, please let me know.

greetings-just found this at my grandfathers welding shop hornless anvil with a raised five point star.not sure of weight but will weight tomarrow.american made? and year. anyone have any info.......thanks pete

Nice. Have you weighed it yet?

• 2 years later...