I Forge Iron

Alsop Anvil

In a previous topic titled "help with an anvil", I was asking for opinions on a colonial anvil I got a lead on. Well, I went and got it. It's marked "Sheffield" and "Alsop" and an interesting weight mark of "1" "X" "25".
Is in great shape. Looks like the Alsop on page 14 of Anvils in America, and Postman dates that one around 1787 or so. Regardless of its age, its in great shape. What do you think? Oh, the fella I got it from had just spray painted it today to make it look better. Now to clean that off....

post-12829-0-07527000-1331178431_thumb.j

post-12829-0-65299000-1331178442_thumb.j

At time I've heard of them using "X" instead of zero. That would put it at about 112 lbs. Looks like a nice littel anvil. Don't worry too much about the paint on the sides, but the stuff on the face will smell like poo until it burns off.

Thomas, I was thinking the same thing. I understand about the CWT...but it does kinda look like a 29. Maybe it is a mistake, but you still can't have a 29, that's why I was thinking it was a 25. Although, if I remember correctly, some early anvils in AIA have weight marks that include a "31". Haven't weighed it on the scales yet, but it feels like around 140 pounds, maybe less. When I get home tonight, I'll weigh it and found out its current weight and post that.

Just weighed on the scales....132 pounds....maybe it is actually 100 pounds weight + 29 if it's 112 + 25, then it would be 137 - could it have lost 5 pounds of weight over the years? I really don't know.

I ran into the same thing with a Mouse Hole I picked up that has 1 0 14 for the weight, which should come to 126 lbs. On my bathroom scale, it weighs 120. So like yours, it comes up a bit short. Given it's age, use, how they were originally weighed & my scale possibly being off, my thinking was....close enough.