I Forge Iron

Hi all

I am looking for an anvil as I am just setting up a blacksmiths shop at the railway works where I work. My boss has kindly offered to pay for a new one. So two questions:-
1) Where can I buy a new anvil?
2) What sort of size would you recommend?
I will be undertaking all types of work, so a general size.

Thanks

Paul

Hello,

I think you would be crazy to buy a new anvil when there are so many good used ones going, ebay has several at the moment. I know a chap who had a large anvil and swage block for sale a few months ago - I think he still has them - he is near Bridgwater. Another chap is about to put two very good industrial swage blocks on ebay.

However, hate to write it though I do, if you are set on a new one the obvious place to go is those with a virtual monopoly on new blacksmithing equipment here in the UK... Vaughans.

John B is probably the best to seek advice from in re' use and size, but a 3cwt would do for pretty much all but the very heaviest of jobs.

If you need an 'artistic' swage block, give me a shout :).

Hope that helps,

G.

Hi all

I am looking for an anvil as I am just setting up a blacksmiths shop at the railway works where I work. My boss has kindly offered to pay for a new one. So two questions:-
1) Where can I buy a new anvil?
2) What sort of size would you recommend?
I will be undertaking all types of work, so a general size.

Thanks

Paul

A couple of relevant questions first, and please don't take offence.

What kind of railway works is it ? (Private manufacturing or a heritage type association, professional or amateur

What experience do you have to set up a blacksmith shop? (relevant skills/experience/training)

What are you going to work on? (Railway works indicates more industrial type work than ornamental work)

Who is going to be using this facility ? (just yourself or others)

An anvil may only be a block of metal to beat on, but some blocks may be of a more appropriate shape to work on for the industry they are to serve.

John B
In answer to your questions:-
The railway works I works for has all types of rail vehicles. (Network rail, all the big frieght loco companies, GB Rail Frieght, DB, DRS, etc. Heritage steam lococs)
Experiance wise:- 25 years a fitter, welder/fabricator, machinist, pipefitter, toolmaking. Blacksmith training, 2 years at college plus years of forging tools.
I will be making tools, and small parts. Also some ornamental work.
I will be the only one using the equipment.
Paul

John B
In answer to your questions:-
The railway works I works for has all types of rail vehicles. (Network rail, all the big frieght loco companies, GB Rail Frieght, DB, DRS, etc. Heritage steam lococs)
Experiance wise:- 25 years a fitter, welder/fabricator, machinist, pipefitter, toolmaking. Blacksmith training, 2 years at college plus years of forging tools.
I will be making tools, and small parts. Also some ornamental work.
I will be the only one using the equipment.
Paul

Hi Paul,
You should have a good idea of what you need then,

A lot of the maintenence shops favoured double ended or boat anvils,

New or used would be your choice, so long as the used one was in excellent condition that would be fine, sometimes though it can take a fair bit of time to come across one in the right condition, Mick's could be that one, also collection/location can be a problem,

If you have a sponsor and the price is not too much of a problem, new could be the best option, If you are working to a budget price from the sponsor, you will get more anvil for your money for a used one

Two and a half hundredweight (280lbs) upwards would be suitable IMHO