I Forge Iron

ASO help

gday all im just starting out and im trying to find an anvil but not having any luck so i want to make a anvil ive got some steel and i have two lengths or rail road track 66kg head heardend 600mm and 800mm long and what you see in the pics the round bars are 4in 4130 and are about 300mm long
111220111864.jpg
061220111853.jpg

so what would you use for an anvil and whats the best way to set it up
thanks Damien

Every one of those pieces is an anvil! You're a very lucky fellow to have found such a nice collection. I would turn any one of them on end, with a nice tripod or cement base for stability, and hammer away!

Look up "post anvil" and you'll find dozens of possibilities.

IMG_0047-1.jpg

so i weighted the rectangle one its 66kg, im thinking ill make up a wood box 600mm high put 150mm of sand then stand it in there upright and fill with sand my Qs is will sand be ok to use and will i need to harden the face or just let it work harden
thanks Damien

Sand is used by many people here. You may need to fill to your desired level, insert a board that covers most of the sand, place the anvil on the board and fill the rest of the way if you find the anvil sinks in use. Adjusting height is still pretty easy.

Flame hardening is one way to get the one surface hardened with minimal efforts, but I would try it first since I lack a torch kit. Flame hardening can be done with a forge too, but not as easily. You may need to water spray the top to cool fast enough since the forge will heat a much thicker section than the torch. You may need a water spray either way actually.

Do yourself a favor and radius the edges BEFORE you try hardening.

Phil

Anvilfire.com has a nice write up in their FAQ section, however they do not permit deep linking.

Their chart recommends on a 100# anvil 1/16 inch, 1/8 inch, 3/16 inch for different work areas, heavy, medium and light work areas.

I would probably put the smallest radius on the short sides, and the medium on the long sides, and not worry about heavy unless you find you need it.

Phil