I Forge Iron

Just picked this up. seems to be weight designated with English system but is stated wrong? Shows
1 26 16 which would be 1 1 14 to be correct? Can't seem to identify it with Anvils In America. Any help.Weighs about #160 on my bathroom scale( which ALWAYS weighs heavy,right?) which would be consistent with 1 1 14
post-5278-0-84561600-1330566378_thumb.jppost-5278-0-16369100-1330566401_thumb.jppost-5278-0-07140400-1330566413_thumb.jppost-5278-0-49326300-1330566427_thumb.jp

John: I see you're a musician too. Checked out your profile. I'm a fiddle player. Flew out to close to your country a few years ago from Oregon to buy a new fiddle in Eastern Tennessee. I guess since I started this post I can corrupt it a little!! Sorry-Eric S.

I think its measured in "Stones?" 1 stone = 14lbs US. so it translates to 11 stone = 154lbs

you are correct, a stone is equal to 14 US pounds BUT where are you getting 11 stones from? The anvil is marked 1 26 16

I'm not saying they're not out there but I haven't seen an anvil marked in stones only (as in, this x 14 equals your anvil weight). English anvils are generally marked using the hundredweight system..a hundredweight being 114 pounds (or 8 stones)

the 1st number multiplied by 112 lb (can be 0)
the 2nd number is multiplied by 28 (can be 0-3)
the 3rd number is individual pounds (can be 0-27)

John: I see you're a musician too. Checked out your profile. I'm a fiddle player. Flew out to close to your country a few years ago from Oregon to buy a new fiddle in Eastern Tennessee. I guess since I started this post I can corrupt it a little!! Sorry-Eric S.

That's cool...must have been a nice fiddle to go from Oregon to Tennessee!

The number is a mystery as it does not conform to either weight system generally used. The very neat stamping may indicate a later one done cold. (My Fisher came from a Blacker powerhammer and has a serial number stamped into it---funny thing the only other one I have seen like mine had a serial number only 2 off from mine!)

Looks to be a nice anvil; I'd turn Postman on it if you really want an educated guess to the breed.

No handling holes?

you are correct, a stone is equal to 14 US pounds BUT where are you getting 11 stones from? The anvil is marked 1 26 16 I'm not saying they're not out there but I haven't seen an anvil marked in stones only (as in, this x 14 equals your anvil weight). English anvils are generally marked using the hundredweight system..a hundredweight being 114 pounds (or 8 stones) the 1st number multiplied by 112 lb (can be 0) the 2nd number is multiplied by 28 (can be 0-3) the 3rd number is individual pounds (can be 0-27) That's cool...must have been a nice fiddle to go from Oregon to Tennessee!

I guess I am more confused now that you showed how the old timers figured math?
as for the first question I was going by the fact the owner of the anvil said it translated to 1 1 14, I guess I was off on the process but not the end number. I didn't know there was going to be a test.

• 4 weeks later...

it reads *Wrong* but the original poster indicates that they are unsure of the middle number.

As it is date stamped I would guess that it's a William Foster, especially as it's in the old english style: small bic, sharp feet and fat waist.

At a first guess I would go with a 0 for the middle and think it would be about 134 pounds (as the interpolated 4 might just be chisel tests scars) and it doesn't look extremely large. If so the "asking price" would be about US$2.23 a pound. A bit high for that general area but not outrageous and he said he's willing to accept offers.

The "I can lift it but just barely" doesn't sound like it's over 150 pounds to me

When I was looking for a large anvil my code interpretation went:
"large anvil" maybe 100 pounds
"I can lift it" maybe 125 pounds
"I can barely lift it" maybe 150 pounds
"two guys can lift it" maybe 150-250 pounds
"gotta use a forklift or a tractor"---be right over!

Saw a lot of "large anvils" that were under 100 pounds; yes they were larger than the 9 pound cast iron nail straightening anvils but no way near "large" for a smithing anvil!

i went to buy a 150+ anvil a few weeks back that took "two" people to load it into the car
it turned out that i could hold in under my arm and that two people that had loaded it to start with were a older man with a bad back and a 13year old
the anvil ended up being 118lb not bad and still a good deal for the price but not the be all end all anvil i had my fingers crossed for