I Forge Iron

firebrick source

jawno

Could somebody give me a good source for firebrick? I want about a half dozen of the one inch thick by about nine inches long that are rated for 3200 degrees or so. My online searches so far have only given me major distributors or brick rated to only 2200 degrees. Nothing available locally either (small town, SE Washington).

Do you have access to a big box store like Home Depot or Lowe's? I found replacement fire bricks for wood burners and such there. I want to say they were rated 2600 and not soft. They came in a box of 6 and were 9 x 4 x 1.25 inches. I am going to use them to line the bed of a new forge I am building.

Brian Pierson

Thanks for the link. I'll give them a go. The bricks at Lowe's are only rated up to 2200 degrees. Being as steel melts at 2300 I would like something rated slightly higher. Sheffield has brick rated to 2800. That should do fine. Thanks again.
I already have some soft firebrick but want some hard high temp for the floor of the forge.

i think your looking for either a commercial or an industrial firebrick. they run usually twice as much as economy does. economy firebrick is used in ovens and fireplaces. commercial is used in some higher end ovens and outside ovens (like acme brick has recently introduced pizza oven kits and theyre lined with commercial firebrick) industrial fire brick is stuff found in forges and furnaces in big factories. theyre all very very dense compared to their regular brick/block counter parts. the pay scale goes up on the denser ones. the density of it gives them their heat rating. economy fire brick is a little more dense than a regular brick. commercial is quite a bit more dense than economy. and industrial firebrick is very very dense compared to commercial. somthing you want to find will probabaly be industrial. you can get by with a commercial firebrick but if you decide for some odd reason you want to melt somthing like brass or steel in there, you want industrial. just BEWARE. they are very expensive little bits of masonry and they are very veyr fragile.