I Forge Iron

Eating Fork

Ridgewayforge

post-24020-0-66710700-1329793141_thumb.j

My first substantial blacksmithing project, a forged fork!

I flattened out one end and cut it with a hacksaw, then I formed the tines and finished the tail end with the twist.post-24020-0-66712100-1329793153_thumb.jpost-24020-0-16964100-1329793164_thumb.jpost-24020-0-73311300-1329793174_thumb.j

Also a hook I made, I'm rather pleased with them both. Please let me know how I can make these better!

~Ridgeway Forge

Tines look a bit far apart for an eating fork and not parallel. I like to take a steel block the thickness of my tine gap I want and dress the tines against it to get them parallel and the correct distance.

Anyway try it out---if it works well then it's correct no matter what else anyone says!

Well, so far I've only tried noodles. (a manu of ramen and spaghetti on a recent camping trip). They are a tad bit far apart for meatballs, but they work well as my first pair. If I do it again I'm going to work on making the tines symetrical, the shaft shorter and the gap smaller. I tried the steel block on these, but it was an experiment as I didn't know how far apart I wanted them. Thanks for the constructive criticism!

Well, so far I've only tried noodles. (a manu of ramen and spaghetti on a recent camping trip). They are a tad bit far apart for meatballs, but they work well as my first pair. If I do it again I'm going to work on making the tines symetrical, the shaft shorter and the gap smaller. I tried the steel block on these, but it was an experiment as I didn't know how far apart I wanted them. Thanks for the constructive criticism!

Reforge them, you are a blacksmith, even if you did use a hacksaw to split the bar end, good start

ive done forks before but they are toasting forks so they are bigger probably, its just right for toasting crumpets on an open fire, try splitting the end of you stock into three instead. this will give you a thiner prong and allow you to have them closer together for those pescy meatballs! i like the 2nd half curve of the hook its got a good flow to it. try keeping the flow going a little more round even though you want it to go in to the straight, as you have a bit too harsh an angle where it meets the straight, unless of course thats what the intension was and in which case i appologise and il be quiet! :) just keep practicing on the time in the fire. as soon as its hot know where you are hitting right away, dont get it out of the fire then decide as you'll lose heat and so you will burn your metal with the extra heats. (sorry if im telling you to suck eggs, but the hook looks like uve worked it alot.) :unsure:

Zeberdy,
You're right in assessing that the hook was worked a lot. I lost it in the fire when I originally made it ( at that time it was a drive hook). Then I decided on this plan. By the time I was done with it it was a mess! But, I ended up giving to the man who gave me 60 pounds of coal.
Although I know I could always reforge the fork and straighten out and make even the tines, but I'm keeping that piece as a memento to look back on. I'll keep doing more and more, and hopefully I'll get better at it!

Its good to keep stuff to look back on, especially bits that are not as you would like, they serve as a reminder and you improve from then on, do it right first time, beginners luck, and you have difficulty repeating or improving on it, but it doesn't jog the memory in the same way as one slightly off.

Keep on going and learning from your mistakes, You are on your way ! Good luck and enjoy.