I Forge Iron

Various power hammers

I stumbled across the following information while searching for something and if it's not appropriate to list it...Please feel free to remove it from the topics.

It might provide information to anyone that owns one of the various hammers mentioned and provide help repairing one. It's located at the New England Blacksmiths forum and although I've been researching various power hammers for months I found this searching for forge information not info on power hammers.

http://www.newenglandblacksmiths.org/power_hammer_info.htm

• 3 weeks later...

I'm still developing some building ideas on some sort of homebuilt power hammer design. In this process I know some sort of eccentric is going to be required to make the hammer go up & down... So I went looking for some method or some machine part to re-purpose for this use.

Take a look at these.. http://victorylibrary.com/graphics/T&O-XL.jpg Each half is about 10# with counterweights already included .They are about 8" in diameter. The center hole is 1" and the outer hole is slightly larger with a 2" offset which would translate to a 4" total stroke.

They may be used as a single eccentric (20#) if placed together or as 2 eccentrics (10# ea.) maybe. Any thoughts about this or thinking about the weight required for an eccentric ?

For anyone unfamiliar with the photo that is a Sportster flywheel assembly.....I happened to get a good deal on them. If they won't work for this application I can always get my money back as Harley parts....LOL

I haven't dismissed a tire hammer and like the tire drive system. I just happened to see some designs that don't have the tire spinning in your face that I like also.

Nothing is set in concrete for now and a lot will depend on materials available . I'm leaning toward some sort of helve hammer design actually.... fashioned after some of the smaller antique machines with some more modern refinements incorporated into the unit.

Not trying to re-invent the wheel,just trying to build my own wheel with what I can find to do it.

I have been kicking the idea of using a car type clutch somehow...but the tire hammer clutch is so elegant in how simple it is.

Another Idea I have is using a front-wheel or 4wheel drive drive spindle and half shaft...but to what real gain I am unsure....sorta trying to replicate a "little giant" assembly with off-the-shelf parts...but the tire hammer is so darn elegant in its simplicity!

Phil

I'd rather the "tire" was rear mounted instead of as it is on most all the "tire type" hammers. There are several aspects of the assembly I don't care for,but that's just my opinion.

There would be little difference in having the tire rear mounted and having the eccentric front mounted by using a shaft and bearings. Such a mounting would eliminate the rim welding and trying to figure out how to remove the tire if necessary.

I think the tire hammer is a super design... of that there is no doubt.... Those are just my observations on it from other peoples discussions about building one.

I have been kicking the idea of using a car type clutch somehow...but the tire hammer clutch is so elegant in how simple it is.

Another Idea I have is using a front-wheel or 4wheel drive drive spindle and half shaft...but to what real gain I am unsure....sorta trying to replicate a "little giant" assembly with off-the-shelf parts...but the tire hammer is so darn elegant in its simplicity!

Phil
Its called the "DuPont linkage" it was not invented by little giant I think they started using it after the patent lapsed.

I found the patent drawings for the actual DuPont linkage... Anyone notice any difference between them and the Little Giant or any of the other various hammer linkages ?

Notice the original drawing used a sleeve over the coil springs ....Safety design ? Later omitted from other hammers?.

The original design looks as if the "arms" are leaf springs with the coil as a tension device to position the arms.

post-23680-0-76779000-1331411609_thumb.j

I'm with you, I'd have the tire behind the hammer and use a crank.

For the clutch I think I'd try using a conical drive wheel on a slide mechanism. This way it'd make a variable drive transmission, the farther you press the treadle the larger the diameter of the drive wheel engages the tire and the faster/harder it hits.

Did I mention I had several power hammer designs on the drawing board, comp memory, before I found a 50# LG for reasonable?

Frosty The Lucky.

In relation to a "tire" drive system... I have a tire/rim assembly as well as an axle shaft that it bolts to but it's a heavy duty industrial tire and is just plain heavy. It's about the same diameter as a "spare tire" just heavier ...it would act more like a huge flywheel than a "spare tire" Any thoughts about using such a heavy assembly as a drive system or would it even matter ?

I don't know why I kept this thing except it's new and it fits the axle I had too. I've never seen another one and didn't know what it was for...maybe it's just been lurking waiting (15 years) for me to build some sort of contraption and use it...