I Forge Iron

my shop vise and stand

matto

i know there is a post on show me your vise can't find it. so i am showing you here.(if my pictures come up)
the stand is a 30gal oil barrel filled with concrete. the vise plates are bolted with all-thread attached to the rebar in the concrete. at the bottom of the barrel are brackets that fit 5/8" pins that slide into holes in my shop floor. that way i can move it to different location if needed. i do have a spot in the shop that i anchor bolt it down for most of the time. the 2 1/4" tube with the pin in the top is for my bending forks and other form and jigs i use. i have a 2" tube welded to them to fit into the 2 1/4" tube then pin them so they stay put. ( basically your trucks tow hitch)
so what do you think? it really works good and is very solid when just pinned to the floor or bolted. the reason for 2 vises on it is because i use my vise to hold a lot of my hardy tools, so i can still have a tool in one vise and still have an open vise in the same area. it also gives me the ability to have another smith working without taking up more floor space with another vise snd stand.
post-12147-0-05759800-1328708518_thumb.j

I learned a variation of that for taking a vise on the road---A full sized 55 gallon open top drum with a piece of 2x12 cut into an arc and lagged through the top edge to provide a place to bolt the vise too.

Fill with water and you have a 440# vise stand, a quench tank and enough water to hand to make demo sites relax about possible fire issues.

At the end of the demo, unscrew the bung near the bottom and let the water out and now the barrel is light and easy to move! I generally stored the vice inside the drum along with scrap metal for when it was moving in the truck.

As I was often on soft surfaces I use a tamper plate to hold the acorn on the foot of the vise and a tentstake or two to keep it from shifting if I was hunkering down on it.