I Forge Iron

welding cast iron to stainless steel

I second ONR's question: why? :huh: The first idea that springs to mind is to get a bunch of stainless electrodes and weld over the CI with them. One of the more accomplished welders here can tell us if that's even possible, and whether you'd need an extra layer (nickel, maybe?) between the CI and SS. Sounds very expensive if it's even possible. I wouldn't try it. I'm very happy with my CI cookware just as it is , now that I've trained my better half not to put it in the dishwasher.

If this is for cookware it seems you would lose the "non-stick" properties of well seasoned cast iron. What do you gain?

The methodology I would look into is making a tabbed stainless piece and then casting the cast iron to it. Don't know if you could get a true bond like the Fisher anvils did with steel and cast iron---might be a lot trickier!

Also you might look into metallic glass as a bonding agent---metal that has been cooled so fast that it doesn't crystallize and so forms a "glass". a section of such a film between two clean metals reheated below fusion temp can result in a bond. Don't know if it would work between stainless and cast iron but I know it was tested with jet engine vanes and Tom Maringer the swordmaker held a patent on it for making a pattern welded steel for cutlery use.

thanks guys for all the responses the reason why is me and my better half went to a cooking show and they were talking about castiron and stainless cookwhere the advantages and disadvantages of both and i thought what if you had a cast iron pan covered in ss you would get the even heating of cast iron and the easy clean up of stainless steel among other things. ok welding out of the question. could you make a hollow ss pan and fill it with cast iron?

I didn't answer your question. I don't know if it's possible to fill a hollow metal form with molten metal of another sort. (I mean, I'm sure it's possible; the question is whether it would be practical for your purposes.) I can foresee some problems, but I've never tried it.

thanks guys for all the responses the reason why is me and my better half went to a cooking show and they were talking about castiron and stainless cookwhere the advantages and disadvantages of both and i thought what if you had a cast iron pan covered in ss you would get the even heating of cast iron and the easy clean up of stainless steel among other things.

You want aluminum or copper for heat distribution. Aluminum is far more common than copper $$$. I have used the old style Farberware SS pans with aluminum clad bottom for over 20 yrs and loved them. Then I bought an induction cook top and since they were non magnetic would not work so I broke out the cast iron full time. The worst heat distribution I could imagine. Then I found Kitchen Craft / Americraft pans. Multiple layers of SS and aluminum all clad together completely up the sides to the top so not only is the heat on the bottom of the pan it is transfered up the sides to cook from the sides as well. Much less heat is used to cook the same food. Copper plated pans like revere ware are just for looks not useful for heat distribution due to the copper not thick enough to much.
smith out