I Forge Iron

John C. Campbell Folk School

I have taken seven or eight classes there and have enjoyed every one of them. My husband and I take our camper and stay in their campground, so I can't tell you anything about the housing. We eat lunch at the school, but I cook the rest of our meals. Most teachers will let you come back to the shop after supper and work if you want to. I really like the creative atmosphere there and usually come home with my artistic batteries fully charged.

I took a blacksmithing course during Shaker week in late 2005. The atmosphere is great. I stayed in the dorms and ate in their dining hall. Almost everything was top notch. The blacksmith course I took was not worth crossing the road for. I would have been better to stay at home and read a book. Others I have talked to have raved about the blacksmith courses. I guess I got a lemon. But I won't try it again. I'll stick to closer schools. Connor Prairie or Tillers International

Mark

Don A.
The instuctors name is Don Witzler. The lady I talked to at the school gave me his phone number and I had an opportunity to talk with him prior to registering. He seemed pretty straight forward so I registered for the class.

Mark,
I am looking at a couple of classes at Tillers. I hope ypur experience at Campbells was a fluke. I don't have alot of extra money or time but so far I have learned from trial and error - Mostly error and thought I might give a class or two a go.

Class is the week of May 13. The money for the class would put a big dent in the fly press fund so I hope I'm not wasting it on a flower power summer camp.;) I just want to improve my knowledge and skills.

JWB

A few members of our guild have taken several classes down there, and we also have a few of them coming up here to do a few meeting demonstrations for us. I am hoping to start taking classes there, and also at Penland, Touchstone, and hopefully one day at Ozark...

Everything I have ever heard about John C. has been really good!

Peyton

I have taken several classes at Campbell and had a terrific time, every time.. In my opinion you get out of it exactly what you put into it, most of the instructors will let you start early in the AM and work til 9 or 10 at night, Lots of opportunity to learn. I've seen some folks just kind of play around and suspect they didn't learn much, but the good news is the place is totally non competitive and non judgemental so it's no big deal either way. In general the instructors I've had were all top notch and so were their assistants..I have learned a lot there and wil go back to take some specific courses. fyi, it's a dry county so come prepared as appropriate.

• 2 months later...

I plan on leaving for NC on Saturday morning. Class registration is Sunday afternoon, Ends Saturday the 19th. I don't have to be back in Indiana until Wednesday night on the 23rd. I plan to wonder around. Does anyone have any blacksmithing related suggestions of places to visit in Ky,Tn,Oh,western NC, Western Virginia or West Virginia.
I am pretty familar with these states and can find my way around. I figure since I like to take the scenic roads Williamsburg Virgina is probably to far to go and still enjoy the ride. But I could be wrong.

Thoughts or suggestions appreciated

John

I took a weekend class up there last year its a nice place the food was good some of the people up there are a little to huggy artsy type but its defenetly a nice place and shop is nice to they have multiple power hammers gassers and coal forges. expect to be tierd by the end of the day and i recomend eating at all the meal times you will need the energy.

If you're near Asheville, NC, you'll be close to Kayne & Son / Blacksmith Depot. Hammers, tongs, and all sorts of toys. You might want to call before you go, just to be sure they are open.

Don

Also in Asheville, NC is the Builtmore Mansion. I would say that place is a MUST SEE. and yes, they do have a blacksmith shop. It is referred to as "America's Castle" and well worth the trip. TN offers the National Metal Museum and also a MUST SEE. I have a good friend that sells them hand forge 'sand wrighter' for the gift gallery there. If by chance you get into Ill. I would make an effort to get by Lorelie Sims' shop "Five Corners Blacksmith Shop" in Charlston, Ill. She is a fantastic smith and a fun Lady.

Enjoy you time at JCCFS! One of these day, one of these days....sigh

My wife and I just got back from attending some classes at the John C Campbell Folk School. My wife had a great class and a great teacher.
I wasn't so lucky with my blacksmith class. My teacher was a 28 year old who you would have thought invented blacksmithing as he thought he knew everything about it. He was also habitually late for class times.
Meals were kinda skimpy too!!! Not nearly worth what they charge you for them.

First I want to thank everyone for their input. I am really looking forward to the class and the road trip. I checked out the National Metal Museum web site and that looks like a good stop. I haven't been to Biltmore in 30 years so thats high on the list also. Williamsburg is the top of the list but if I do go there I won't have much time to spend:( according to mapquest its close to 600 miles from JCC and then another 700 miles back home.
At this point I will probably go north to Ashville go to Biltmore and stop at Kayne and sons and then catch the Blueridge and go north to Skyline drive. I haven't rode the blueridge in about 10 years so it would be nice to do it again
I quess it will all come down to how I feel after a week at JCC and how my cash holds out.
Putting a new front tire on the motorcycle today and it will be ready to go. I'll start packing this evening. If anyone has any more suggestions I'm not leaving till Saturday early am.
Once again Thanks for the input,

John

John.........go through Waynesboro. There is an amazing smith there named Fred Crist. He is the head guy for Yellin these days. His gallery is awesome and has a Yellin made gate there, plus a few items Yellin himself made. I have been there to see one of his demos. And it is right off the blueridge parkway/skyline drive entrance at Afton Mtn.

Here is a link to his website. You may want to contact him to see if he will be there before stopping in. Blacksmith - Metalsmiths

Also close by is Dale Morse in Charlottesville VA. He has a school there and used to work for Stokes of England. He is in our guild, and someone I consider a friend and a smith I look up to. Here is his site. Clay Hill Forge

Hope this helps in your journeys...
Peyton

• 2 weeks later...

Just wanted everyone to know that I had a fantastic experience at JCCFS. The instructors name was Don Witzler from Ohio and he did a great job. There were 8 people in the class, experience ranged from none to 4 years. All the Class mates were good people. The first 2 days Don covered basics and everyone made hooks and leaves and a pair of tongs. On the third day Don demonstrated forge welding and then basicaly turned everyone loose to try what ever they had in mind.
I went to JCCFS to work on my forge welding and also to gain more knowledge about working with a coal fire. Once Don turned us loose I made a chain with 8 links forged from 3/8 round stock. That went well so I made a basket twist "S" hook once again forged from 3/8 round and 1/2' square stock. I went back to the tent Wed. Night trying to decide what to make Thursday. As I was reading a book at camp I thought of making another 8 or so links of chain and a couple of rings for each end of the chain and incorporating some vines into the design and maybe if I had time add some Trumpet flowers. I shared my idea with Don Thursday morning he offerd a couple of practical design suggestion which I used and have to say they worked well for me.
I have enclosed several pictures of the finished wall hanging. It's laying on the back porch floor because I have to make room to hang it in the living room. Included is a picture of the basket "S" hook and the 3 pairs of tongs I also made. I gave all my S hooks and drive hooks to Steve at the forge station next to me so he would have plenty to share with his friends and family when he got back to Atlanta.
The average day ran from 7:30 am till 9:30 pm. The weather was great and I met alot of good people from a wide range of back grounds. I would recommend it to anyone interested in working on improving their skills.
I have to admit I was worn out by Saturday and took the direct route home and did not stop except to get home. A warm shower, Hot meal and a soft bed was sounding real good.

Sorry to ramble just wanted to share the experience.

John

2406.attach

2407.attach

2408.attach

2409.attach

2410.attach

2411.attach