I Forge Iron

High Speed Tool Steel

Ridgewayforge

Does anyone know if High Speed Tool Steel makes a good knife?
I have some tines from a Rotary-tiller that I just repaired today, spark test makes me think that they're HSS Tool Steel.
They're already in a rough shape of a knife, but I want to know if there is anything I ought to know about forging, quenching and tempering before I attempt.
Thanks!
~RidgewayForge

Show us a spark test. It is very unlikely that these are high speed steel. You can also try to draw the temper to a deep blue or gray. If this softens the steel considerably, it is not HSS. Then, go for a quench test, say with water. HSS will crack, but a med-hi carbon will probably not. You know how to heat treat simple carbon steels, right?

Take a look at AR Abrasion Resistant steels; what I'd go for if I didn't use plain old 4340 or other medium carbon steel.

Higher carbon does increase wear resistance but also increases brittleness so it's a trade off on what they use.

The virtue of high speed steels is that they keep their hardness at high temperatures---not something you get in rototilling; but something you want in drill bits and lathe tools and other things expected to cut at high speeds..