I Forge Iron

Scranton hammer?

Does anyone have any info on these hammers? I've never heard of the brand before, but I've just recently started looking into getting a power hammer. I attached pics of one that is for sale, they say it's a 90#. Not sure if this one is the best idea for me right now, as it's not under power so I can't watch it run. I have no experience using one, so I don't exactly what to be looking for. They are asking $2500. Thoughts?

post-23126-0-13219900-1327434522_thumb.jpost-23126-0-37698200-1327434505_thumb.jpost-23126-0-15075200-1327434545_thumb.jpost-23126-0-14131300-1327434570_thumb.jpost-23126-0-96764800-1327434612_thumb.jpost-23126-0-84488100-1327434626_thumb.jpost-23126-0-79632100-1327434653_thumb.jpost-23126-0-82252100-1327434689_thumb.j

Cool hammer. I dont know if I'd pay $2500 for it though. I guess it depends on what it needs, obviously a motor. Does it turn? if everything is free and nothing cracked it may not be a bad deal. Just throw on a motor and go. But it looks like its been sitting out a while. I've never heard of them either (which is not saying much), so replacing parts could be expensive. Things to check would be cracks and are the parts moving. You should do a little research on rebuilding a trip hammer to see if thats something you want to get into. Also look around for other hammers, There could be a good deal on a running hammer. Good luck, -Justin

if i remember right this was one of the earlier hammers built ...if all the parts are there and its not froze up ide get it! should work well and 90 lbr is a good heavy size... looks good but anything that is broken you will have to make as its a old hammer (1888 patent date!) . I personally like older machines they seem to be built to last! if your not into old machinery tho you might want to pass ....good luck!

Thanks for the info...my first post was kind of vague, so I'll clarify. I've been considering building a tire hammer, but figured that since I have the plans now I should start looking for used hammers since I know that as soon as I start working on it I'll see something that's a better deal. I hadn't heard of the manufacturer, so had no idea as to the quality of the hammer, or a reference point on the price. I guess I was just curious in general as to your opinions on whether it would be a better idea to start from scratch or restore something old. Fabricating and welding parts for an old hammer shouldn't be out of my skillset, and if I don't have any equipment I'd need I at least know people who do. Lack of a motor isn't a problem either, there are a ton of large motors (a lot of them overkill size) sitting around in the building I'm in, so it's probably free. And I assume the price is negotiable, it seems like he's been trying to sell it for a while. I think I'll at least go check it out...Tim, if I don't decide to buy it I'll definitely forward you the info. Stewart, PM sent.

this hammer is the finest hammer of its kind....you cant compare it to a little giant..lil giants are toys compare to this machine...THIS IS AN INDUSTRAIL HAMMER!!! there is not much on this hammer that can break that you cant fix yourself... this hammer is in the same category as bradley and fairbanks.... anyone that sez otherwise hasnt run a scranton... if you end up with this machine feel free to pm me and ill give you my # ...more than willing to help you anyway i can with this hammer...and just a quik fyi... its very hard to turn the crank behind the hammer to get it to cycle.... so if you cant turn it... it doesnt mean the hammer is locked up...these hammers started life as the "beldon"... then was named the scranton... then the improved scranton upright.......there will be folks on this page that will say otherwise...but that hammer @ 2k is a steal....if you dont want it.... please send me that fellas contact info..... best of luck... pete
hey went back and looked at those pics real close....other than replacing your strapping and attaching a motor...i bet that puppy would run with a lil oiling... also the idler arm seems to be a fabbed replacement(thats a nonissue).... for those that know...this hammer is worth ever cent he's asking for it...

Good spot R Smith- There is defiantly something out of whack there. Big red flag if the main shaft is bent or castings damaged from a fall. Probably could be repaired, but not worth the asking price. Bring a crowbar and some wood blocks. Lever up the hammer head enough to take the weight off the spring and insert the wood blocks between the dies to keep the weight off the rotating parts. Then try and rotate that bent flywheel at the back of the main shaft.