I Forge Iron

Portable forge project

Woodskevin

Hey folks. I recently aquired a large 12V evaporator fan used in defroster and heater units. My idea is to build a portable forge table and pot that would mount in the tow receiver hitch on my truck and use the trailer plug as a 12V power source. What's do y'all think?

I think the fan would suck your battery dry pretty fast. Also I don't think that a trailer plug has a constant 12v supply to it( 4 pin.) Run a dual battery setup, but low voltage cut off, isolation switches and all the safety jazz that comes with it. But by the time your buy all that including a deep cycle battery, you could have bought a hand cranked blower on E-bay for less.

But that is just my thoughts. IT would be a kind of cool set up.

10,000 farriers can't be wrong. They make 12V fans for gas & coal forges in horseshoers' rigs. Check out a vendor or two online.

Just remember not to drain the battery so low the car will not start, a fan big enough to run a forge will draw a lot of power. The fan may also be run off a wall plug with the aid of a car charger.

My question would be what do you plan on using it for? Form follows function, so I would first explore how it will be used and the parameters of those situations. If you will be using it in your driveway, or at a blacksmith meeting, or camping, then it sounds like a neat idea. However you will be limited to using the forge where a vehicle can be parked, so you will not be able to use a hitch mounted forge at living history events and likely not be able to use it at most craft shows or other public events.

I agree with David. I take a forge on the road quite a bit, camping, teaching, demo'ing and pretty much everywhere I am nowhere near the parking lot. You might think of making a dual use set up where it could be mounted on the receiver *or* legs could be slipped on it to use it elsewhere with a free floating battery