I Forge Iron

Beginner's day.

I'd found where the utility company had cut some trees and left some stumps and logs. I needed a firmer base for my cheap XXXX anvil, so i went over to borrow my Dad's truck and hand-cart. Of course,even at 84 he siezed the chance to go along.. So we went over and I cut a 4 foot section of log to take home. ( Actually the longer section made it easier to tip it into the back of the truck. So I cut the piece as long as I could handle.)

Got the log home and cut it so with the anvil on top, it was the right height. I fired up the forge for the 2nd time today.

I coated the interior of the forge with Plistix last night and fired the forge late morning. I was not sure what to expect- if it would glaze or whatever...

I then got busy and made a hold-down device that would fit on my anvil. And straightened out a couple pieces of auto coil spring.....

The straightening of the spring was harder than I thought it would be. I have one 8 inch length that tomorrow I will draw out into a decent punch. And another piece that I figure will make a hot chisel.

I had worked a little before but ran out of propane, so I had to exchange the tank.. My inexperience is burning fuel but I am having fun...

I found one easy way to work with coil spring was to cut it to length I needed first and then heat it to straighten it out.

If you have a wooden hammer handle, take some 100 grit sandpaper and remove the factory glaze or lacquer or coating. Mix some boiled linseed oil and mineral spirits, half and half, and using a small piece of terry cloth or t-shirt, apply the mixture to the wood. For the first application, reapply as needed to keep the wood wet until you leave the ship.Dispose of the rag in such a way that it can not generate heat and catch fire. I like to wrap it around a rock and place it in a container of water.

Apply the mixture hourly for a day, twice daily for a week, and as needed until it no longer absorbs the mixture. IF you need to use the hammer during the application process, just wipe off any excess and use the hammer. Reapply the mix when your finished.

Next work on hammer technique. Blisters and pain are the body telling you something is not right.

Not the first day, but close ehough... plus I do not want to start another thread...

I got a set of tongs put together..... they would NOT win any award except maybe "ugley but useable (barely)".. It only took what felt like 100hours of punding to get them together. I'd get one side looking pretty, then get the other to match (finally) and then they would not go together...

I had a major problem getting the rivet to seat. BUT I have a set that is FAR better than channel locks or vice-grips. So I am happy for the moment...

Going to pound on some hot metal using these tongs..maybe draw out some RR spikes and straighten some coil spring I have into sections I can use later...

I have to admit, I am enjoying the hell out of this...

I have a tip for you....unproven...never spoke of as yet and might even be BS. I have found, if you pick a small project, maybe make some hammered bar, taper some points or make leaves with a light hammer, you will warm up your muscles much like weight lifters do, to get your muscles ready for the big hammer, you will be better off in the long run. You should know I can swing an insane heavy hammer......but if I had a job to forge all day i would always warm up my arm up with something smaller first. I didn't always do this, but I learned it the long way.... and I learned in time....and it works. ( Also you might end up with a bucket of leaves to use on a future project)

I got a set of tongs that are ugly but serviceable built Friday and decided to try them out by drawing out a little on a RR spike. I had a little trouble getting the grip right as I forgot one simple thing...jaws are a fulcrum and the further you are away from the pivot point, the more distance you have to travel.. So when holding something as wide as a spike the ends of the reins were too wide for my hand. At first i just choked up a little to compensate.

I had decided to make a knife out of the spike after rewatching a couple you tube videos yesterday morning.. Then I tried to bend the ends of the reins together a little so they would fit my hand when holding something. And then decidd to adjust the jaws a little and that broke my rivet. I'm going to have to find some better rivet material than the 1/4 ( or maybe 3/16) rod I found.

Here is the knife I made. Today I am going to try to harden and temper it. I wanted to take some pics before I screwed it up.

100_0909.jpg100_0908.jpg100_0908.jpg