I Forge Iron

Mounting Leg vise Question

DClaville

Hello all

Im building a leg vise stand for a big 6inch jaw vise i have

I have been thinking of how to mount it, and have a question, does the leg need to be free standing from the post(in my case heavy rectangular tubing) ? or would I be fine bolting the leg of the vise into the post? or would that harm the function of the leg to transfer vibration downwards

the reason why I would like to bolt it into the side of the post is to not have the normal mounting bracket that bolts down on top of the post as I would like as much space as possible there for a small table

will get some photos uploaded later as we all like photos right :)

Cheers
Daniel.

Daniel, I have seen vices on this site that are secured to the "leg" of the stand. I have my vices setting on a base, so as to be able to better support (in my opinion) the downward force of hammering on something in the vice. I think that if you secure it back, and support it under the foot, that you should be OK. I wouldn't let the leg stay unsupported from below, as that sorta defeats the purpose of the leg. Hope this helps. :)

+1 to what Curly George said. The leg must be fastened for the vise to work properly but if the stand is heavy enough, the bottom of the leg doesn't necessarily have to touch the ground. I had a 4" leg vise bolted to a 600 lb table and it absorbed blows just fine but the table obviously had plenty of mass. However, if your stand is intended to be portable, a socket and plate is a good idea under the foot so the ground or slab absorbs energy. If this is a permanent location, you might also consider setting the vise down at anvil height and burying the leg in the ground.

Good Morning,

For the leg to absorb/transfer the downward effort from hammering down onto the jaws, it is best for the bottom of the post to be supported. There is no problem with making extensions for the bottom end of the post so the hammer jaws are at a height that is comfortable to work with.

The portable/moveable post vise stands that I have made, use a heavy section for the base of the post and support of the upright that holds the vice. The rectangular shaped frame that becomes the base needs to be low enough that you won't trip on when walking around the working area. If you use thick angle bar, you can cut 2x6 or 2x8 pieces to create a floor to stand on when using the vice.

On one of my post vice stands, I drilled two holes parallel to the ground, at the top of the support post. I made a tray with two L-shaped pins, so that the tray can move out of the way if I need the space. I have a short section of chain on the tray so it is always close at hand.

Neil

Thanks just what i needed to hear

it will be a portable stand for moving to the middle of the floor right next to my main anvil when needed
have two steel pipes cast in the floor so will make holes in the base plate for the vise stand to drop in some 3/4" pipe to keep it from moving when in use
I plan to make the stand with a 60x60cm 10mm thick steel plate base plate and the post will be 20x10cm 10mm thick wall Sq tubing (filled with sand) and a 40x22cm 10mm thick steel plate as a table top
will put on two small wheels that's offset a bit from the ground so when I tilt the stand over a bit I can roll it around.

here is two photos of the vises
the one thats taken apart is the big one I'm making this stand for have given it a spray down with rust-penetrator and will attack with it a powered wirebrush tomorrow.
the small on 4"jaw is new! it has never clamped any thing in the jaws only has rust and dust on it. I got it from my fathers old friend who remembers buying it many years ago when its was normal to use leg vises, but he never got round to mounting it so it has been standing in a corner for 60+ years that one i will mount to a heavy work bench for finer work and filing

IMG_0306.jpg

IMG_0307.jpg

Cheers
Daniel