I Forge Iron

knife blanks in canada?

joshua.M

i am looking for a place to buy knife blades like these http://www.knifemaking.com/category-s/57.htm so i can finish them and better understand how to mount hardwear top them without spending a ton of money making the blades, then i can hopefully sell them (being honest that the blades are not of my making) for a small profit, but i cant find any where i can order them through the mail in canada, i could order them from jantz but would rather not pay the boarder fees and wait for the super efficient boarder people to let the package through
Thanks
Josh

I'm not Canadian and I have no experience with these guys, but Google turns up this page: http://www.on-the-edge.ca/103supplies-pg.htm

hey matt, i have spoken to these guys, they are a little sketchy about the material in thier blades when i asked what steel i got told "i think they're 440c? dose that sound right?"

I have never dealt with these guys but I have heard good things about them. http://www.mossingtonknives.com/supply/home.html They seem to have a lot more actual knifemaking supplies and less imported junk knives and swords than that other link.

hi mr newman, i couldnt find a link for blades on this site? do they sell blades? or just steel for blades?

I don't see any but I would give them a call. They look more like an actual knifemaking supply and if they don't stock any they may be able to bring some in when they bring in steel. Or they may decide roughed out blades are something they want to carry. They do sell flat blade stock though. If you are doing a stock removal blade and plan on tapering the blade at all, cutting the profile while a fair bit of work is not that big a part of the overall job. Especially if you can find someone with a bandsaw that you can borrow to rough out a couple of blades.

Hi
I've known Mike for quite a few years and and he does have very decent prices on knife making supplies... but i don't know if he stocks actual blade blanks... he does indeed have the blade steel flat stock for grinding out your own knives ! I've bought grinding belts off him for a good while... .. he also belongs to the Canadian knife makers guild, so alot of knife makers up here know him well

hi mr newman, i couldnt find a link for blades on this site? do they sell blades? or just steel for blades?

I don't see any but I would give them a call. They look more like an actual knifemaking supply and if they don't stock any they may be able to bring some in when they bring in steel. Or they may decide roughed out blades are something they want to carry. They do sell flat blade stock though. If you are doing a stock removal blade and plan on tapering the blade at all, cutting the profile while a fair bit of work is not that big a part of the overall job. Especially if you can find someone with a bandsaw that you can borrow to rough out a couple of blades.

i gont have a blade grinder at this point, and i dont know anyone thish a vertical bandsaw, i was hoping just to buy the blanks so i could better learn how i need to forge my own blades to make finishing easyer... i will give him a call tomorrow if i get a chance

I've been in the On The Edge store. Any full tang blades and supplies came from Jantz He does have some nice scandi hidden tang blades, but prices on everything are high. You could easily order what you want from the USA and still be ahead.

I like knifekits.com

With all the advice you have posted telling others how to make knives and swords I am supprised a young guy like you is throwing away moneyt to have others forge the blade for them,.

and i would think that a good smith like you would understand when somone is trying to give ideas for other peoples problems even if they are not the best suggestions. at least i try to help and not make that smith feel like he is stupid and useless... dose that make you feel big and better about yourself? i have never claimed to be a great smith and i have also never tryed to put down another, less experienced smith for trying to help somone else and i am tired of your constant pestering about my skill and experience. i was simply askin a question, and it IS my money, if i wanted i could burn it and use it to light my forge

I've been in the On The Edge store Any full tang blades and supplies came from Jantz He does have some nice scandi hidden tang blades, but prices on everything are high. You could easily order what you want from the USA and still be ahead. I like knifekits.com

thank you, i will lokk at that website

and i would think that a good smith like you would understand when somone is trying to give ideas for other peoples problems even if they are not the best suggestions. at least i try to help and not make that smith feel like he is stupid and useless... dose that make you feel big and better about yourself? i have never claimed to be a great smith and i have also never tried to put down another, less experienced smith for trying to help somone else and i am tired of your constant pestering about my skill and experience. i was simply askin a question, and it IS my money, if i wanted i could burn it and use it to light my forge

Not putting you down. I do NOT think you are stupid or useless. If you would post honestly rather than trying to impress people, you would not have many problems. in fact you may start to learn to make good blades yourself. You do seem to have the desire, We cant help you correct problems, when you cant be honest with us in chat or the forum about what you really can do, and what you need help with.

Spend as much time in the forge as you do posting here, and you will get better. As for spending the money, you stated you did not want to pay too much mentioning import fees, then as a typical 14 yr old you state you can burn it if you wish?

Hey Joshua
you can buy just the annealed blade steel ... .. paint the outside with dykem blue... then put your design profile on the outside of the flat stock... cut it out by using those thin angle grinder blades or hack saw.. .. once your profile is done nicely ... mark a center line on the blade stock where the edge will be... then use hand files to file in the blade... leave it the thickness of a dime ... ( otherwise it may warp when you heat treat ) ... then sand it down with sand blocks till all the scratches are out.. at about 400 grit... don't forget to drill you pin holes .... then send it to Mike... for a couple bucks he'll heat treat the knife for you .... then you can put your handle on it...
I literally know dozens of knife makers that started that way... you don't need any powertools to do it... and you'll have a knife made solely by your hands.. and becareful, its reeeeeeeeeeeeeally addictive !

take care bros and good luck

Greg

Joshua these people http://www.texasknife.com/vcom/index.php have all sorts of blade blanks, heat treated and ready to assemble. They also have knife kits with everything you would need to put your knife together including pins and handle materials. I have never bought a blade from them but I get other materials from them and they are a very reputable company. I am sure they can ship to Canada but I am sure there will be the normal customs fees added to the price of what you buy.

Good luck with your knifemaking