I Forge Iron

Last knife from 2011

Phillip Patton

I actually started this one about a year ago, and I’ve been working on it off and on (mostly off) since then.
The blade is 7″ long, Gordians Knot damascus. The guard is opposing twist damascus. The spacer is bronze, the handle is desert ironwood.

122911-1.jpg

122911-2.jpg

122911-3.jpg

122911-4.jpg

122911-5.jpg

122911-6.jpg

122911-7.jpg

Thanks for looking!

Every time I see the work of professions, the learning curve seems almost insurmountable. Still, it inspires me to keep practicing. Great lines, and tight fit. The guard butts up to the ricasso very cleanly. Another aspect of assembly in a long list of things I still need work on. Really beautiful work Phillip!

Robert

Sweet, We need to get together some time, Why dont you ever stop at the IBA meetings? (9am till around noon) 1st Saturday in New Haven, 3rd at Solomon Farms on Dupont Rd. You are not too far from me, so I can give you a ride if you need one....

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks all for the kind comments!

Sweet, We need to get together some time, Why dont you ever stop at the IBA meetings? (9am till around noon) 1st Saturday in New Haven, 3rd at Solomon Farms on Dupont Rd. You are not too far from me, so I can give you a ride if you need one....

Hey Steve,
Yeah, we should get together sometime! Problem is finding the time. Same reason I dont go to the blacksmith meetings, I guess. :(
How about we try for February?

ok Btw I think you may know my Mother in Law, MaryLou Woodward, used to be your post master until she retired a few years ago

Yeah, I do know her! Well, not personally. Nice lady; I liked her. Small world!

I actually almost stopped at your place last summer. My dad and I were biking the Greenway, which goes past your street. But I didn't know your address. :)

• 2 weeks later...

I've been kicking the idea around of making a dagger for my brother for his birthday, and I think I'll model it much like this one. Do you its dimensional specs? Height? Width? Thickness at the base?

The blade is 7" long, 1" wide at the widest, 3/4" at the narrowest, and about 1/4" thick at the guard.

• 2 weeks later...

I am not a bladesmith. Knives generally do not interest me. I am more of a hinge, firepoker, fishing pole holder hobbyist.
If I make a knife it is generally out of a tire iron or rail spike and will hold and edge and cut things, not much to look at.

I am compelled to say that is the most beautiful knife I have ever seen.

I could go on and on and on about why but that work stands on its own so I will just shut up now.