I Forge Iron

power-hammer arms...

No pics on PC yet,camera got broken.Will post some asap .Rebuilt my hammer and partial rebuilds on various friends hammers over several years,made 4 or 5 sets of spare springs for Herculees from old rail wagon springs(high vibration/dutycycle material),had 2 sets made by comercial spring maker bbut both sets broke when mates were working material too cold,rail springs perfect and easy to work with gas torch.

Good info about the springs. I've had trouble when I had the spring shop heat treat for me but that's because I wanted something they don't normally do. Rebuilding hammers is a pretty common topic here so I'm sure your brain will get well picked. We're very spongelike where knowledgeable people are concerned.

Being down under explains why I've never heard of your hammer, not that I know the names of all the ones sold on this side of the world mind you.

Frosty

I looked on the British Patent office website but I can not find the patent for this hammer. The patent number on the side of the hammer appears to be 13849. Maybe some one else might have some luck as patents can supply a lot of useful information.

brad

Patent is in the historic section(controled atmosphere in old mine or some such)in Cwmfelinfach South Wales.5 digit British pats are pre 1914.Taken out by William Jarvis & Smith Murgatroyd,two and half pages text & drawings.Mostly about the toggle arms having Tee sections.This is on the smaller hammers of this type.The bigger ones have pins and bushes.I spent a bit of time & effort making shure all the pivot points work correctly,bushes tight fit into holes,pins free to rotate in bushes but with small keep plates in milled slots to prevent pins rotating.All adds up to better machine life and excelent mch controll.Also use bottle jack & hard stops to cut down on free play in the linckage.Hammer sits on approx 6 inches orregon beams cross bolted together(mate has horrizontal forging mch which headed up 7/8 bars of correct length.) That all sits on about 2 cubic meters concrete as base isolation from shed. The bigger the mass off foundation the more efficent the mch.Article I read in ABANA paper some time before I got my mch going stessed the importance of setting the clutch to just start driving then have the brake release.

hello Peter !
you don't have a friend with a camera:D
my Hercule hammer strike 160 per minuteswith a 10hp , I have change springs with two industiel rubbers.....
arms has been welded, but too long, I'll make other later....
sometimes, at slow speed the hammer don't strike normally, now I think if the speed is more hight it could be better.....
with this slow speed, I must adjust the excentric highter.
bye..

• 3 weeks later...

My stroke adjuster is almost all the way out,the thrust washer is still all on the crankplate.runs much better at this setting than on shorter stroke.All mechanical hammers will have a range where they cycle well,on mine with the heavyst springs I can fit in without coilbinding and at 240bpm it cycles real well.