I Forge Iron

Horseshoe for necklace

Very nice. I like that it hangs heels down ever since I read Webber's British book, "The Village Blacksmith." It's a book full of smiths' and farriers' lore. He says that as a luck piece, the heels should be downward so that "the luck continues to pour forth." If the heels are upward, the luck is held in and can't get out. In the U.S., we often hear it the other way around.

Another food for thought. Some British riding horse shoes have seven nail holes, four on the lateral side and three on the medial side. This seems to be enough to secure a shoe, but one wonders whether it may have to do with "lucky seven" or the seven stars of the dipper.

Looks nice!

I had always heard it the other way around Frank (being American!) That the shoe should be mounted ends up so the luck doesn't spill out, then we'd tap it as we went in or out of the doorway for luck. Wasn't there more to this legend, something about how the blacksmith should forge it to fill it in the first place?

Looks nice!

I had always heard it the other way around Frank (being American!) That the shoe should be mounted ends up so the luck doesn't spill out, then we'd tap it as we went in or out of the doorway for luck. Wasn't there more to this legend, something about how the blacksmith should forge it to fill it in the first place?

I've heard that the upside down way was used over a doorway to bring an easy birth to an expecting mother in the house, who knows, it might have even made it a pleasure..........

let me start of very nice work

the village blacksmith book is a great read a must for all blacksmiths. Great talking points for working a crowd while doing a demo. A through shoe has lost its luck. A horse shoe facing down to bring money into the shop and up over the front door to keep the money in your home.