I Forge Iron

very little use, peter wright. but left out side for ages

Hi guys i just got a 90# peter wright at a steel... no pun intended.any who it looks as though its never been used in a serious shop before, the only problem is that it looks as though its been out side for 1/2 century. so i ran a grinder over a very small part of it ( dont worry i had all the weight of the angle grinder in my hand, the disc just barely removed some of the more "aggressive" rust) and it appears to have a wonderfull face under it, justm a lot very shallow pits in it. what would be the best way to smooth this bad boy out, with out harming the tempure...

this is so unused that it still has the "crown" that was a factory standard on peters in there later years to help compensate for the inevitable sway you would get over a century of use.

thanks again for all your knowledgeable input

I have a HB that was stored in an unheated shack in a marshy area in central Ohio, USA. It had a lot of fine pitting on the face due to condensation over more than half a century of sitting there. I wire brushed off the loose rust and am using hot iron to polish it out---the area over the "sweet spot" is shiny and almost polished out, out toward the heel you can still see the pitting.

Scale *is* an abrasive; why spend time grinding when you can accomplish the same end *forging*!