I Forge Iron

Abana 2008

I THINK THAT WE HAVE TO ADRES OUR THOUGHTS MINED IDIAS AND THINKING TO THE ''ABANA PRESIDENT LETTER'' IN THE ABANA SITE.
WHY THEY HAVE DECIDED TO GO THIS WAY ?????????
WHO MADE THE DECISSION??????????
IS THE LAST 2006 PRESSIDENT WITH HIS RELATION TO ABANA HAVE TO BE BLAIMED FOR IT ?????????
IS ABANA COMING TO THE END OF THE WAY ????????

hofi

Mr. Hofi,
I can't personally speak for ABANA ( I am involved with enough not-for-profit boards already, I don't need another one) so I am not sure WHO exactly made the decision to stop the big conferences. I have no doubt at all however that the decision was financially influenced. I believe it has just come to the point that, like the letter said, the "children" are doing a better, more efficient job of it than the "parent." What I am hoping for now is that ABANA, since they aren't hosting their own conferences, will become MORE active in these more localized conferences (such as SOFA Quadstate, etc.) as far as providing volunteered help, offering assistance in finding demonstrators, etc.

I also do not believe that ABANA is coming to an end. I'd almost wager that the reason that they are cutting the conferences is to minimize some of the expenditures so that they can stay in existence. But, we shall see how everything pans out, i guess.

Again, since I am not on the ABANA board, this is all just speculation on my part, based upon my experience with several different Not-for-Profit organizations that I have belonged to.

-Aaron @ the SCF

I am not presently a member of Abana, but I do have a thought about what Abana should do, instead of their Big conference... I think that they should try to encourage attendence at the chapter association conferences. Possibly they could designate a willing groups conference as the Abana yearly featured event, and arrange to allow that chapter to use some of the abana supplies to help improve the conference and handle hopefully a larger attendence... (last I remember there was a trailer with a supply of forges and tools for begginer's? as well as library items, and past magazines and stuff from the store...) Abana could maintain a somewhat low profile at the event, maybe sponors or supply one of the main demonstrators, have a judged gallery the contest open only to Abana members work, and have a display with someone maning it to answer questions and sign people up for the parent organization. It would cost less, they would have a wider profile (if not a higher one...) and it might help promote membership among the chapter members.

It would be nice especially for the international members of Abana for there to be one of the big conferences, maybe not every other year, but every 5 years, or ever 10? Maybe that would be more do able for Abana. 2010 isn't too far away.

I don't know what is going on. But I have heard that the politics at the top of Abana have been pretty rough for a few years. I can only guess that the Seattle Conference didn't make money, in a big way... (I had a freind who lives in Seattle who taught me to smith years ago and he missed the conference completely, he teaches welding now and was a bit out of the loop, not to mention so busy he didn't know weither he was pitching or catching:-) I have heard people say that the Abana conference is no bigger than many of the bigger chapter conferences, and all the chapter conferences a FAR cheaper... I think people have been voting with their wallets and the Abana conferences have lost, which is a shame. I haven't made it to one yet, mainly because of cost and timing, not for lack of desire, but I am not unusual in that I don't think, and I have been smithing for 21 years.

The vote of the ABANA board was unanimous and yes, it was largly financial reasons. Claire and other board members are seeking suggestions for changing ABANA for a continued future.

There's been a pretty intense discussion going on on theforge list, the ABANA sponsored E-mail list. If you'd like to get involved you can subscribe easily enough.

Manage membership or unsubscribe at:
TheForge Info Page

Frosty