I Forge Iron

Da Shuhua - Throwing Molten Iron!

Junksmith

So it appears that poor farmers in certain rural parts of China 500 years ago did not have fireworks accessible to celebrate Da Shuhua (the autumn festival of lights celebrating the harvest). What else looks like fireworks? Molten iron being thrown against a wall of course! Who was behind the idea? Area blacksmiths! This makes me even more proud of our heritage. See video below.

Reminds me when I was trying a billet of mild steel and cast iron (old bath tub, so thin and high grade). Didn't work out like an author had suggested as possible methods of carburizing wrought iron in medieval times, but at welding temp the cast iron would splash out in large molten globs that would fly through the air until---I conjecture---_the excess carbon was burned out_ and then explode into burning iron sparklies. Most amusing if you like really juicy welds...

Reminds me when I was trying a billet of mild steel and cast iron (old bath tub, so thin and high grade). Didn't work out like an author had suggested as possible methods of carburizing wrought iron in medieval times, but at welding temp the cast iron would splash out in large molten globs that would fly through the air until---I conjecture---_the excess carbon was burned out_ and then explode into burning iron sparklies. Most amusing if you like really juicy welds...

Glad I was not the only one Thomas....I did learn that after the tenth weld it settles down a bit...in retrospect that was most likely due to the fact that there was no more cast iron present in the billet.
I'll be getting back into cast iron next year...but I am not sure my insurance company would like the Chinese approach to the Fourth of July.....

Ric

What was funny was running into a MatSci professor who was researching using low carbon steel balls in a cast iron matrix and balancing the numbers just right that you would get a high carbon steel through carbon migration. He was rather plaintive about asking why we were not in his MatSci classes and sad to learn that we were blacksmiths/blademakers with geology degrees...

The method of crayoning on cast iron to a Low C piece to "hardface it"---I want to try a piling sample with the pieces treated like that sometime just to see what happens...

I built a trebuchet that will hurl 8lbs. almost 100 yards, it has a wire rope sling, been dying to toss something on fire! Good show!

And now we know where the "Danger" in Danger Dillon comes from... :D My kinda guy.
I would like to see that. How about molten aluminum into a lake? I heard that makes a big boom.

I almost suggested written instructions on how to post the vid, left with someone who won't be present for the event. You know . . . just in case. ;)

Of course that doesn't mean that some little part of my brain hasn't spent the last few hours wondering what kind of container you could use to launch molten Al from a trebuchet. It'd have to be able to completely contain the molten metal (spillage seems like it'd be a bad thing) and survive the shock of launch, but break open on impact. Or at least that's my vision. :ph34r:

I almost suggested written instructions on how to post the vid, left with someone who won't be present for the event. You know . . . just in case. ;) Of course that doesn't mean that some little part of my brain hasn't spent the last few hours wondering what kind of container you could use to launch molten Al from a trebuchet. It'd have to be able to completely contain the molten metal (spillage seems like it'd be a bad thing) and survive the shock of launch, but break open on impact. Or at least that's my vision. :ph34r:

Induction coil around a ceramic pot...or the whole lot in a forge to 1700F
You can wrap the exterior with some thin inswool like paper-mache for added support.
I would think the slow constant exceleration of the slig would be a good way to laungh the mess.

Or just drop it off a cliff into water...all down hill with no issues....not all lakes have flat land around them.

I'm not convinced there would be anything worth watching unless the water volume and thermal mass of the molten liquid were within a certain "sweet spot". A bullet mold of aluminum into a water glass is nothing but a hissing bubble bath.
You need the steam to launch the yet liquid metal....to much water and the metal sinks and quenches with some steam bubbles...like making poured lead shot.

Ric

Sure, ceramic would do for melting and impact. It's the surviving the launch part that might be a little hairy -- your slow, constant acceleration observation is dead on. A trebuchet might be the thing.

You're right that just chucking it into a lake probably wouldn't be very exciting. I have some thoughts about what might make it exciting, but maybe I shouldn't plant ideas in the head of every teenager who wanders by this thread. (I say this as a guy who spent his share of time as a teen making napalm, striving to make ever-larger firecrackers with black powder, playing with an O/A torch when no one was looking, and just generally doing some things that, in retrospect, may not have been great ideas.)