I Forge Iron

Welded bit hawk from railroad spike

This is my very first axe type object ever. I decided to try a welded bit while I was at it since railroad spike wouldn't make a good enough edge.
For the bit I had a small scrap of cable damascus I made last year.
My first try at the weld was ridiculous, with the glowing bit shooting out and bouncing around under my scrap pile. The next night I cleaned it all up, organized my plans and took another try. I am so stoked that it worked. Obviously I need to work on form a bit, but it seems functional and took a nice edge. I put a temporary handle on while I find some hickory handles. ( my local big box stores don't carry handles? what the heck kind of hardware stores don't carry a xxxxxxx handle?)
I wanted to thank both KYBOY and Basher for thier post on axes, it helped a lot to see what you guys do and make.

post-4928-0-72500100-1322970052_thumb.jp

post-4928-0-21287300-1322970323_thumb.jp

I thought the same thing when I was done forging it Grant. The angle of the picture doesn't show the top line very well though, it has a small upwards flare, not perfectly flat on the top.
Sure glad I took another try at it after the setback.
Once i get the better handle i think my brother will like it for a stocking stuffer.

Bryan while I was sick this summer I read everything I could get ahold of on the topic. What I found was my biggest setback was not keeping everything clean enough. once I kept an eye on that it works much better.
Thanks again guys.

Looks good Tristan, we'll have to give it a practical hack stuff test. I can't remember the name but there's a store here in the valley that sells wood, Mark knows the name. Anyway, we buy plank stock and cut our handles from it. The owner knows Mark and knows just what grain patterns we want for handles. He's a good guy and the prices are reasonable.

Frosty the Lucky.

Looks good Tristan, we'll have to give it a practical hack stuff test. I can't remember the name but there's a store here in the valley that sells wood, Mark knows the name. Anyway, we buy plank stock and cut our handles from it. The owner knows Mark and knows just what grain patterns we want for handles. He's a good guy and the prices are reasonable.

Frosty the Lucky.

That sounds good I will ask him about it. I have a box of big handles, but I keep finding need of the small ones more often.
I did hack at a birch log with it a while and it seemed to hold up well to it. I will send my brother out with instructions to test it out. I am sure he will happily oblige. by next meeting I should have one I can keep for myself.

Tristan, Jake and I are getting together this week I believe and we hope to make a couple of bearded axes. I'll keep a post going of our progress. Of course this always depends on the weather. We just got over a bad blow. It even got up to 45 here one day. Which of course melted the snow and now there's ice everywhere.

Tristan, Jake and I are getting together this week I believe and we hope to make a couple of bearded axes. I'll keep a post going of our progress. Of course this always depends on the weather. We just got over a bad blow. It even got up to 45 here one day. Which of course melted the snow and now there's ice everywhere.

Yeah we had a similar temp here as well, but aleast the roads are clear.
Look forward to seeing the pic.
You planning a trip down this year at all?

Yeah we had a similar temp here as well, but aleast the roads are clear. Look forward to seeing the pic. You planning a trip down this year at all?

I sure am going to try. I spoke to Jake today and we are getting together tomorrow. I don't want to make a pest out of myself but as long as we are forging I don't think that can happen. He sure is a nice guy and so very very helpful.

I will try to make it down this spring. So early next year. This year is kind of shot and I know I won't be able to make the January meeting. Renee has a hospital conference in Arizona that month. And I believe its close to the time that the meeting is. I need to stay and take care of the dogs. Anyway, I hope to be able to come down and get some work done with ya'll after that. Maybe right after break up or at least close to it. I know I have so much to learn and I learn best when I'm with others. So, all that being said thats the plan at this point. We'll see how it goes.

I hope everyone is doing well down there in the Mat-su valley and give my best to Frosty and Deb.