I Forge Iron

Stake Anvil

Here is a picture of the stake anvil I made using a RR spike driver and a piece of 2.5" sq stock, (and another's smiths *big* powerhammers!)

As I recall it 's about 3' tall---so I could use an abbreviated stump or even dirt---the spike is 9" long IIRC.

I still need to weld over the eye to make a small flat anvil face, though I use it as it stands anyway.

My apprentice forged a second shaft at the same time I did with some coaching from the powerhammers' owner; of course I had some help from him as well as I don't have a lot of chambersburg experience... Hist stake anvil used an oddball sledge hammer that was elongated but had a moderately square cross section that tapered to the faces.

My thanks to Thom for providing the pictures!

(The growths around the base of the stake anvil are scrapped wood auger bits flattened and one concrete bit; courtesy of the local scrapyard---no usable bits were harmed in the making...)

post-168-0-20679500-1322842007_thumb.jpg

I made a jewelers anvil for making bracelets out of RR hammer, sure took a lot of polishing to get it shinny enough. I didn't make a fancy shaft for it tough, just welded a steel axle in there and then ground it to fit the stake holder I had at the time. Now it just resides in my garage in a section of eucalyptus stump with a fuzzy coat of rust on it.

Bentiron the trick is to start with a very nice hammerhead so less work to clean it up---I've turned down several rused up spike drivers.

I have an Old Stake Anvil; but it is a tad soft and as an artifact I wanted some home made versions to be able to work them hard.

This stake anvil is generally pair with my hornless stump anvil (travel anvil) that Steve Parker made for me---so no horn anvil and all horn anvil---just like a lot of medieval and renaissance pictures show!

Thomas, It was a pretty good hammer head as far as any drop forged hammer head goes. I did a lot of draw filing to get the majority of the grinding marks out of the thing along the sides and then it was onto the 1" wide strips of emery cloth. Good thing I grew up in the age before all men wore were sports shoes and knew how to shine shoes otherwise I would have been looking to use some power tool to work through the grits from 60 to 600. I can't say I was wasting time, you got to have something to do with your hands while watching TV in the evening or to cover up the sounds of your son's Xbox games.
I do have a Pexto style stake that would have taken much more work than any RR hammer I had come across at the time. It is very nice to have the dual diameters on one stake to make bracelets but I have sense opted for a cast iron cone bracelet mandrel, it's easier to fit under the table between uses and is quieter.

Pexto stakes tend toward the soft in my experience, I prefer a well made hammer head to hammer on! My pexto stakes have generally been restricted to soft metals and hammers when I have that luxury.

I've shoeshines a lot of shoes in my time---used to be one of my weekly chores before Sunday go to meeting; make me appreciate slack belt grinding on my bader!

I have found that these Dixon "semi-steel" stakes that I found are rather soft also but very quiet to forge out copper on. If I don't anneal brass rod first it will leave an impression in the semi-steel that will need to be worked out so it won't leave and impression in silver or copper. I have a need case stake that is so hard a file just skates across it but it is good to use for planishing the inside of rings.

I plannish the inside of rings using a bull pin on the end of a wrench that I forge the wrench end down to fit my anvil's hardy hole---I've had to plannish my wedding rings to fit when my fingers swell. (I get sterling rings and wear them out, I'm on my fourth. My wife has a gold ring and it's going strong!)

I also have a ring mandrel I made in high school metal shop and a large drift punch, Proto, that I paid $0.50 and shined up. both of these go up to around a size 15 ring and I also have one of the Dixon stakes that has an nice "horn" on for larger sizes. There are days now that I'm sorry that I sold off a lot of my older stakes, the things we do in greats fits of pain that we wish we had not done. I guess they are things the wife will not need be concerned about later.

If you don't have access to a large powerhammer you might invite a bunch of friends over some Saturday afternoon for a beer & Pizza & hammer-in to make up a stake or two.

Time for me to start on a smaller shaft set just to be able to work them at home and a good project to warm up the smithy on cold days!

Still probably easier to neck in and forge the tenon and hot fit it before riveting. Where the large powerhammer came in handy was in the forging of the tapers on the shaft. If you are willing to have a simple plain shaft then the tenon and the spike are all that require forging.

Now if you have a good sized vertical bandsaw you could probably waste a lot of the excess metal for a tenon and spike and then grind to final configuration.

The other stake anvil that used a tapered square section sledge head might be better for cooperage than the RR spike hammer.

When I did the final fitting of the tenon I didn't have access to a powerhammer and so did it by a combination of forging, hot rasping, grinding and then heated the tenon up and hot riveted it onto the shaft.