I Forge Iron

Beaudry parts stolen

I bought a nice 150 pound Beaudry this summer, a complete hammer that just needed some TLC that included about 25 die sets and new 7.5 hp motor. I had disassembled the hammer and painted the frame but noticed some uneven wear on the rollers inside the hammer head... they had started pulling to one side as they rolled and begun to wear into the sides of the spring arms a little bit. I left it apart for awhile so I could save up a little extra cash to get them fixed up, i was thinking i would get it them turned down and steel sleeves pressed on. I went to get them the other day and they where gone. Ditto for the block that holds the springs. And the crank. And the sow block. All 25 die sets... And pretty much everything else except the anvil, the frame, the main pulley and a few pieces of linkage.

So what now for this hammer?

And how much do you think I got knicked for? I still need to file a report with the Sheriff. Replacement cost? Repair? I think the cost to get this hammer running as intended would be rather prohibitive.

Unfortunately the parts are probably already on a boat to china. I do think I know exactly what happened and who did it... That story isn't over, nor is it for the internet.

How about some details for the rest of us poor sods who have junk, er...useful tooling, scattered about.
Stored where? access how?

I have a pile of wrought laying under a pine tree here..about two foot tall pile. last year a woman of 70 or so knocked on the door asking if the pile was for sale for her son...how she saw the pile at 55 miles per hour I'll not know...but it put things into perspective.

I'd say try for replacement costs on the tooling/parts...i.e. a new hammer.

Ric

Well, I've been staying at a farm/heavy equipment shop/fab & welding shop/junkyard for awhile now... It's been great, the friend who owns the place is helping me build a blacksmith shop there just because he likes the thought of it. I have had a very hard time finding rental space for a shop that isn't absurdly expensive or where the owner doesn't freak out at the thought of an open coal fire. There are several other people that live there also, and one of them brought his new girlfriend with him, but neglected to mention that she had a history of stealing metal to support her drug habit. We all left one morning, in one truck, to go work on a rigging job. She calls him up to find out when he's getting home (we're all in one truck remember) and then calls her other boyfriend/drug dealer and they come up and start grabbing whatever is handy and taking it out the back door of the garage. The very sour icing on the cake is, I found out later, the junkie is banned from the local scrapyards so she had to sell it to reseller so probably got half the scrap value out of the 1000 pounds she stole from me, probably 50 bucks at the very most.

I don't know if I'll be able to file a report with the sheriff today, but whats the cost of replacing 25 die sets, each with 2 dies? last I looked nobody was making beaudry dies so 50 custom dies at maybe $1000 each? I'll never find the parts I need used... new sow block made? new springs? The price tag to actually replace what she stole has passed 50k and making a strong run on $100,000.

Times being what they are the theft of valuable parts for scrap is pretty common these days.....The farmers around here have been getting nicked by scumbags who pull up to their quarter mile long circular sprinklers, cut the far end of the copper wire that runs the full length of the thing, hook one end of it to their trucks and pull it out......farmer out $1200.....

DEFINITELY call the Sheriff, also call and visit every scrap yard in the area. If you value the dies at 500 per set, thats 12,500 just for the dies. The other parts from the hammer are critical to the hammer, and I would value them at the value of the entire hammer less the scrap value of whats left (frame and anvil).

A very sad story... Sorry to hear... A Nazel 4B got stolen here a year or so back..... The first thing I would do is find the girl and tell her you dont care about pressing charges, you just really need to get the stuff back... Give her a couple hundred bucks to take you to where she sold the stuff.... Do everything you can to get it back first.... Then tell the sheriff what happened and let them pursue criminal charges if they choose.... Best shot you have of getting the stuff back

This is the best advise I have heard, monstermetal- if the trail is still warm I would be digging through every scrap bin in the yard. This stuff can not be replaced it must be found.
Tweekers are a problem everywhere, should be open season on them

I have used that method before to get stuff back, I have paid the criminal who took it to tell me where it was sold and then bought it back from the place that bought it. Then call the cops and they all get butt slammed by the law. Greed is a powerfull tool they wont be able to resist the thought of a couple hundred bucks.

heard a kidney goes for bout 10 G to the right person.... just set out some more iron for bait ... and when the culprits come back, get your money out of their hides ....

errr ...thats abit strong

i'd just get another hammer... they took too much to rebuild it... i paid bout 500 bucks for a set of dies for my 50lbs.. ...

what ever you do...i'd definitely get the law on their back as soon as possible