I Forge Iron

How on earth was this done to a PENNY

Beejay Evon

I have seen a number of smashed pennies like that before. Don't know how it happened. Some are visibly upset at the edge, and some are not as upset, like they deformed across a larger area.

I have seen well deformed coins that were in a washing machine, trapped in the mechanisms of a front loader (don't know where in the machine, but the drum was removed) All kinds of funky damage to about $20 in random change, including more than 1/2 the diameter worn off all the way around a sandwich Quarter and a Dime folded neatly in half...sure wish I had pictures of those.

Phil

How on earth was WHAT done to this penny you have to be asking...(since there is no photo to accompany the opening question) - and the answer to that is because I hit a delete button in my settings page which I'd thought was in reference to this (entire) post in order to cyberspace it and only to find it had deleted the image I had originally uploaded only - and left the post here so it could then irritate people. there4 if your wonderin where the image went, well theirs your explanation for that.

OK I'm actually not a blacksmith and therefore my plan was to register, temporarily >>>> and (only to prove a point.) which explains why I am now trying to (exit?) (for lack of what is probably the appropriate term "trying to delete my profile") and can't seem to find the "un register" button anywhere. also I can't figure out how to delete this post. so first of all

Can anyone tell me how to delete this post/entire thread period ???

The post will not be deleted, as per some of the reasons already given. Your deletion of the posted photo is one reason we don't like outside image hosting, it can make this thread annoying to follow.

Mr Evon, your posting/editing priv's have been placed on moderation to prevent further trolling.  Meaning we have to approve your posts before they will be visable to the membership.

My Dad keeps a box of mutated counterfeit and modified coins in his office. You would be amazed at the stuff people have done. I have seen a silver dollar that was hollowed out with a compartment inside the two half's screwed together. Counterfeit gold coins that were gold plated tungsten the specific gravity is almost the same so one would need a super accurate scale to detect it. Coins that were engraved to modify the date or mint mark. Coins that has the art work modified so expertly that it looked like the real thing. I could go on. My guess it was fired from a gun and it hit something hard and smooth. You should be happy to get 5 bucks for it.

Slingshot straight down!

I shot 13 pennies into a piece of thick sheet steel, and have 13 deformed coins, a few imprints of heads and tails on the paint of the steel, and nothing that resembles the original photo. The coins are warped, but not significantly out of round. I think a higher energy method of deforming was used, but I won't rule out a more powerful sling shot, since mine is rather mediocre.

pics not uploading for me...

Phil