I Forge Iron

Medieval razors in Moorish Spain

Ziryab

I am new to this forum and I need some help!

I am trying to research the manufacture of razors of the type which Moorish barbers would use in the year 950 in Al Andalus (now Spain). I am working on the assumption that such razors would look pretty much like a curved modern folding pocket knife. I kind of think they would be made of Toledo steel and would hold a very sharp edge.

Am I on the right lines or am I hoplessly wrong?

I have no expertise in knives or razors but would welcome any help any forum user could give me.

Ziryab

Straight razors have looked like straight razors for over 1000 years, more or less. The details have changed considerably, but the length and general construction has not. The blade width (older being narrower, under 5/8), and shape of the tail has changed, but I couldn't tell you how. Older blades would also be a rather flat grind instead of a hollow grind.

Not an expert, but I have read quite a bit about straight razors in the last year.

Phil

what a romantic sounding thread!! (maybe its just me...) :) i know nothing of what you want - just wanted to see what they were. are you doing historic barbering then??? wow...

A nice idea Beth but no, I am not doing historic barbering! I don't think I have a steady enough hand for that. I am a writer (based in London, UK) and I am writing an historical novel which features a barber from the middle ages and I need some expert knowledge of the tools of the trade at that time.

Many thanks for the reply [and to all the others].

Ziryab

PS I will try to find out how to edit my profile... as long as it doesn't mean cutting off my nose!

Mod note: We added your stated location for you

There may be something in the Ashmolean Museum at Oxford
http://www.ashmolean.org/

I'd look also at the Tanavoli collection in its various representations in books.

In 950AD Spain you would still have some holdover from its previous eras....Roman to Visigoth to Umayyad and the rise of the Jewish tolerance in the period (and then ending shortly after) you are talking about.
Of course you know about Cordoba being one of the most prominent cities in that time with agriculture and general learning....I assume your barber is there yes?

Due to the trade and ties with Moors and challenge to Abbasid Caliphate and such I would look at Toledo steel for proximity, but well as crucible steel which would have been available as well via production there or certainly trade.

Ric

Toledo Ohio, Toledo Spain...Let us know when you publish.

Phil

Sensible question Phil.... but I rather suspect that Toledo, Ohio, was called something else in the year 950! :rolleyes:

But I suspect also that you knew that before you asked! :D :D :D

It's Toledo, Spain.

Ziryab