I Forge Iron

OLD Peter Wright Anvil

I was talking with an older fellow (75 yrs old) the other day and he mentioned that he had a couple of old anvils. He told me to come by his place and take a look at them, sometime. Well, I took the time, this morning. This man has a hobby of collecting old oil cans, old pinball machines and many many other things, that I can't even remember. Anyway, he took me out to see the old anvil that was his GREAT Grandfather's. It has stayed in the family and he is going to pass it down to his son. I was really glad to hear that, since it had been kept in the family this long. He said that he didn't think it had anything stamped on it at all. Well, we got to looking and I found Peter Wright Patented stamped on the side. Then i found 1 1 5 (145 lbs) Stamped lower down the side. He couldn't believe that I had found a name and weight on it. The anvil has some edge damage along the face. But all in all is in pretty good condition. I really enjoyed my visit with him. It was nice to just set and chat with the man. Oh, the other anvil was an Arm & Hammer. Didn't get pics of it. But here are a few of the old Peter Wright. :)

post-1549-0-45300000-1321125198_thumb.jp post-1549-0-44733900-1321125213_thumb.jp post-1549-0-97556800-1321125227_thumb.jp post-1549-0-70338100-1321125242_thumb.jp

"I really needed some down time" . This statement in and of itself is important. Takin time to not only smell the roses but look at them is very necessary to me. I just don't do it enough. George, the stories this fella may tell you later on in life will be important too. He may indeed have a key thing he saw done in the shop years ago that will either be new to you or be something you can confirm from your own experience.

Having 2 smiths visit my shop and home was one of the highlights of my life. I will treasure their stay for the rest of my life.

Very True! I spend time howdy-ing with a lot of folks out here and the pay off can be immense! I spent half an hour talking knives and bladesmithing with the fellow who runs the trash transfer station---now he tells me to ignore the "No Scrounging" sign and pick up as much metal as I want! I still talk smithing with him every time I visit.

Folks at the fleamarket start holding stuff back for you as they know you and what you want and are willing to pay!

Folks bump into you at the hardware store and tell you about an anvil they saw in a collapsing shed that the owner would sell for a dollar a pound.

And best of all the stories go on another generation! I spent some time talking to a fellow who used to be an orthopedic smith during WWII at a large hospital in Columbus OH; he told me about the time he was called in because a WAC had fallen and busted a hip and they needed a specialized splint forged for it---he was called in as he was the only O.S. that was married. He never got to see the patient, she was behind a screen with the Doctors but he would tell them the measurements he needed and they would measure and tell him the numbers. Of course he never told his co-workers that was how it was done then they thought he had gotten a real treat for that day and age.

Last we heard his anvil was still in a sub basement of that hospital....I talked with an old janitor there later.