I Forge Iron

Anvil Refacing

I just recieved a new anvil, 100# Hay Budden, date unknown, and it needs some face work.

First, it seems to have been laying on its side and has weathered one edge somewhat. Whomever owned it last, tried to repair weld it with the incorrect rod ( signs of severe porosity it the welds)/ wire.

I believe it is a drop forged anvil vs. cast due to company manufacture and signs of being forged similar to the one we use at work, which is a forged Kohlswa. My main concern is what rod/ wire to use for repair? I do not think a 7018 rod/ 70s wire will work, will it? Or should I use a nickel/ steel rod with a good preheat?

If this is done correctly,I really believe this will be a good functional anvil.

Do a google search on "anvil repair" to get Rob Gunter's procedure for repairs. Also there is one here in the blueprint section but not sure what # it is....I'm sure one of the gurus will come up with it. Irnsrgn? Glenn? Anyway, good luck! Let's see some before/after pictures of this thing when you're done.

Go to Central Virginia Blacksmith Guild - CVBG Home Page - Gunters anvil repair is under the how to tips section. I used it on a German Trenton anvil, and was quite happy.The repair is just a wee bit softer than the original face, so it's chip-resistant. Ironwolf has done many using this process, the ones I've seen were show pieces.

Just a side note, but I don't believe the damage to your anvil was from laying on its side and weathering. It appears to me that you have the well used anvil of a left handed blacksmith. Bending and forming on the farthest edge away from you gives this wear pattern and in my experience, right handed smiths have the horn on the left and lefties have the horn on the right, hence this particular wear.