I Forge Iron

English forge

Countryforge

At a recent blacksmith demonstration I had the opportunity to watch Paul Allen from England I was amazed at the control he got out of his side tuyere forge. He repeatedly forge welded with no flux his selection of where to place the heat was amazing. The only question I asked in all humility was about the forge, he said that's all he's ever used. Finding a Blacksmith book from Britain I proceded to replicate the forge. On my first fire it was great to see the forge in action. Even with a hand crank it worked well. With $50 in total material it was worth it.

post-7870-0-60618200-1318873377_thumb.jp

post-7870-0-70352400-1318873402_thumb.jp

post-7870-0-64508800-1318873426_thumb.jp

The book is The Blacksmith's Craft by the Rural Development Commission.
The size is 2' x 2' with a 7/8 air hole the tuyere goes 9 inches into the hearth and is 3 inches off the bottom. With the cooling tank I can move it back and up and down with shims for different fire positions. A 1 inch fire brick protects the bottom from heat. When I ran it the bottom got hot but not above 200 F

• 2 months later...

The tuyere is simple I had some two inch stainless square tubing laying around that was nine inches long and was welded to the boss. The pipe 7/8 ID was placed through the square tube and a square stainless piece was welded to the tube and around the pipe. The pipe going through the boss was welded and leak tested . When I start up the forge you can hear the water boiling on start up and then it starts to circulate naturally. I clean out what little clinker there is and inspect the tuyere daily a small piece of cut off sliver which is still on the end is still there not burned off. It gets hot enough steel does melt in the fire.

• 2 months later...
  • 5 months later...