I Forge Iron

Drill press restoration: missing quill spring

I picked up a new (to me anyway) drill press for the shop over the weekend. This is a very old, very heavy duty unit that's seen better days. When I got it, there was two coats of paint on everything, including the parts that shouldn't have paint on them. The wiring was so old the cable sheathing was flaking off in chunks. The handle for locking the bit depth was missing. The motor pulley was on upside down with the set screw jammed in the key way with no key in sight. And for the finale, the quill spring and any keepers that may have belonged in the spring housing was flat gone.

I haven't managed to get all the paint off of the placards yet so no clue on the manufacturer or model. I've replaced the wiring, put the motor pulley back on the right way after fabricating a replacement key, and I'm in the process of stripping off all the old paint and repainting. All in all things are progressing nicely and I could have the unit running in 15 minutes. The only thing left to do to get it back to good is to replace that missing quill spring.

I tried scavenging a section of spring from an old blown up chainsaw that was lying around, but the silly thing won't stay coiled in the housing. During those brief periods before it uncoils itself it doesn't have enough oomph to pull the drill back up into the housing, and this after I've buffed off the rust and lubed everything up real good.

Given the age of the tool I'm pessimistic about finding pre-fabricated replacement parts. Any suggestions on getting a working quill spring?

I had a similar problem with an old drill press I had, the casting that the spring locked into broke and I could not get a replacement. What I had planned to do was something I had seen on really old drill presses. I was just going to rig up a couple of pulleys and use a counterweight rather than a spring. I ended up selling the drill press cheap as I use my milling machine for most drilling these days.

• 2 weeks later...