I Forge Iron

First project

Kenny Fields

Hello, I just finished my forge and fired it up today and since it didn't fall apart i guess it is a success. The first project that i am going to be working on is a set of handles for a butterfly knife for my dad's birthday. What i have in mind is somehow punching out his name in them but i am not sure how i should go about this. I will be finishing up a pair of tongs tomorrow but other than that i have never forged anything before and have never been instructed in blacksmithing. Any tips or ideas? Thanks in advance for all the advice

Wow, you are adventuresome. Unless you are really gifted, I would second what bigfootnampa said. Starting out small lets you learn as you go. Bad habits are easier to correct.
A lot of people start projects in life that are larger than they are prepared for and get discouraged and quit. I would never want to quench anyones drive to create, but I wouldn't want to encourage someone with limited experience in swimming to dive right into the deep end of the pool either.
I am sure that whatever you want to make for your father will be appreciated by him.

Mark <><

Well as a starting project you probably want to get a set of letter stamps (punches). Forge your form and anneal it, clean it up and then cold stamp the name in the soft steel (don't use a high carbon alloy for the piece!). I would do the final polish after stamping to clean it up.

im more interested in how you built the forge, i know you're using coal from earlier posts. i think you should study a lot more and be SURE that your equipment is safe and controllable. im only a beginner my self and wouldn't dare tackle something like that. take your time and learn how the metal moves,the "basics" if you will. I'd say if you did that one day you will surprise yourself and be able to give your dad something more meaningful.

some pics would be cool