I Forge Iron

The book by Richard Kern may have a diagram....I'm about 800 miles from my copy at the moment! :P The book is titled "The Little Giant Power Hammer". 300 pgs of how to repair a LG along with the history of the company. I really don't remember if there is a diagram of each part and where it goes on the hammer. Most of the parts have a # on them so you can order new if needed. My 25# is a 1939 model and the 50# is a 1926 model and most everything has a # on it. Of course the spring and bolts are not numbered along with some other obvious parts. Whatcha trying to do? rebuild one. If so I would highly recommend you do 1 of 2 things....attend one of Sid's classes or buy his DVD. I'm looking at possibly going to his class this coming March as I need to do a rebuild on the 50# and the 25#er is on the short side of needing new babbitt.

Can somebody post, or create a diagram of a Little Giant? THe one I found on Sid's website, has just the peices layed out, numbered, I need to know what goes where on the machine? Any helps appreciated

If you start fooling around with it you will figure it out. There aren't that many parts and it will only fit together one way. A picture should be more than enough to get you started and it will go from there. You have to be a mechanic to be a blacksmith. May as well start now.

Bob

Do not force anything that does not come apart with ease. The crankplate and clutch spider are held on the shaft
with tapered keys if you force them the wrong way you will break them. Sid does not sell new ones so be careful.
You really should get some help they are simple but some things are not apparent to the untrained person.

Everything on the shafts fine, I may think about replacing the babbott in a few years, is got 1 riser in it at the moment, and my clutch spider (the thing that pushes the assemble forwards to engage the main pulley) is made of brass? What sthe little T thing that attatches to the crank pin on the front? (What you adjust the height with) I'm gonna order one of those so I can adjust my hit heaight, then as I progress along, I'll worry about the ram.

The t thing is the crosshead, the small end of the toggle arms fasten to them. The crosshead slides up and down on the pittman which swings on the crankpin.The clutch spider is keyed solid to the shaft. The shifting fork is what pushes the belt pulley foward onto the spider.