I Forge Iron

A Knife or a Letter Opener?

Iron Striker

I started making this "knife" on the spur of the moment. My thoughts were that I would make a small knife just to practice on and that is what it has turned out to be. It was a lot of fun and I did learn a great deal in the process. The blade is from a 14" concrete saw blade, the handel is made from Texas Mesquite and Deer Horn (because the wood was to short), the guard is made from a piece of brass I had on hand. The blade looks like it does because I couldn't sharpen the edge after I put it all together (yes another beginner mistake) and I scratched it up while trying. I call it a "dremel tool" finish.

I have since bought a gas forge and I am in the process of getting things set up in my shop. I've seen a lot of great stuff come through this forum and I look forward to learning more. Oh it does make a dandy letter opener!

Any comments are appreciated.

Thanks,

Jamie Herring
post-16150-0-94671400-1317748995_thumb.j
post-16150-0-95729900-1317749012_thumb.j

That's kind of what I had in mind. Fillet I mean. I think once I get a good belt grinder I can put an edge on it. I made the knife by the stock removal method. The steel from the saw blade is very durable. I'm going to have to do some experimenting before I make another that way. Thanks for the reply.

Jamie

• 3 weeks later...