I Forge Iron

A Dumb Question

billp

I'm having trouble finding a 1/4" thick plate or bigger to make a fire box or at least without buying a whole 4' x 8' sheet which I can't afford. What I do have is several 12" x 18" x 1/8" plates, could I weld two plates together to get my 1/4" thick plates for the fire box? Some how I don't think I can because of how the heat would transfer, but maybe someone who knows more could advise me.
billp

I wanted 1/4 or thicker cause that is want I was advised to use in another older post. From what I understand the thicker the metal the longer the life of the fire pot. The one I'm using now I made from 1/4 diamond plate, and works OK as for holding up to the heat. I just made it to shallow (about 2") and want to make a deeper one for I hope a better fire.

The scrap yard I go to did have some 4" x 4" x 1/4" or 6" x 6" x 1/4 angle I could cut that up and weld together that should work I would think.

Thinks guys three or four heads do think better then one.
billp

I wanted 1/4 or thicker cause that is want I was advised to use in another older post. From what I understand the thicker the metal the longer the life of the fire pot. The one I'm using now I made from 1/4 diamond plate, and works OK as for holding up to the heat. I just made it to shallow (about 2") and want to make a deeper one for I hope a better fire.

The scrap yard I go to did have some 4" x 4" x 1/4" or 6" x 6" x 1/4 angle I could cut that up and weld together that should work I would think.

Thinks guys three or four heads do think better then one.
billp

Hi Billp,
What fuel are you using?

We use forging coke in similar shallow bottom blast forges that we take to shows for competitions and demo's, (if they didn't work OK we would soon have had complaints), and have no problems with forge welding or heating steel/iron bars up to and above 1" thick

The biggest problem we have (and that is not a great one) is with distortion in the forges due to heat expansion due to the fact the firepot is welded solid into the hearth base, if the firepot is loose, this is not a problem. Hearth is made from 6mm (1/4") plate.

The shallowness of the firepot is not a problem, in fact it is easier to remove clinkers when the forge is in use as you only have to shut the blast down for a few minutes, then slide a slice down the incline and lift out the clinker doughnut whole.

Here are some pics showing one in use

post-816-0-37804800-1317226010_thumb.jpg post-816-0-09104200-1317226122_thumb.jpg post-816-0-98689100-1317226160_thumb.jpg

John B
I'm using coal in my forge I just thought I would keep a hot fire longer if the pot was deeper. To me I seem to go through a lot of coal when I'm working and yes I do try and control my air blast to only as needed. I also wet my coal every few minues to help me control my fire, but through other post just thought I needed a deeper pot. Even though I do use a rivit forge every blue moon that has no pot at all.

Jacques
That pot looks great in fact I may try and copy your design, I really like that. I see that you have it screwed down though, my pot now is a drop in and not fastened down for possable heat expectation, I'm guessing that is not a problem for you?

Again thanks for the ideas
billp

If you can find fire brick, can you use that to build up around your fire pot (or something else to build up with) ?
If so that will let your change the size and maybe shape of your fire pot until you find what work well for you, then if you still want to weld up a fire pot you'll know the size and shape and between now and then you can be on the look out for materials.

ron

• 2 weeks later...

Will I finely found 2 - 5 foot lengths of 5" x 5" x 1/4" angle iron that I cut up to make my new fire pot. This time I made it about 4 1/2 inchs deep and 9 inchs square at the top and 5 inches at the bottom. I even put in a clincker breaker which the other one did not have (didnt know about such of an animal when I first started). After all is said and done the new fire pot works great and the difference is really great nice. Did not use near as much coal as I have in the past and kept a good hot fire going. Wish I had done it long time ago.
billp